Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: freezer bags - what kind

Default freezer bags - what kind

I've been working on rotating my freezer stash and noticed that a few of my bags once defrosted are leaking. I store only 1 to 2oz per bag so not so so bad. Any experience with this and what bags do folks like? The ones that leaked were the Lasinoh.

Default Re: freezer bags - what kind

I love bags called Honeysuckle
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Lansinoh ones almost always leaked on me too. The Medela ones did best for me. They are the most expensive though, but I rarely if ever had a bag leak on me. And I could even heat the milk in the bag!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

oh and I don't know how much you need to store, but I also really liked some storage bottles I bought and their system. I didn't find them til I was almost done with my EPing career or I was really really considering buying three systems of them. I bought them from baby bungalow. I believe. Yup I just double checked and for sure where I got them, I bought this system here, it's called mothers milk mate, I think. The system keeps the oldest bottle at the front for you so you can use it up first.

http://www.babybungalow.com/breasmilmat.html

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I've heard other say that about the Lasinoh bags. I've heard the Medela ones are a lot stronger and don't ever leak, but they are A LOT more expensive too. I used Lasinoh and never had a problem. What I did was I froze them flat in a rectangular-shaped rubbermaid container, then after they were frozen solid, I'd transfer them in a stack of 6 or so FLAT into a Ziploc freezer bag, which I would then place in a rubbermaid container. I'd seal the container with its lid and stack them that way in the freezer. I never had a leak. It was cheaper to buy the Ziplocs and containers, which I reused. The plastic containers were rectangles and clear with a blue lid. They are just the normal ones you get at Walmart or whatever. I also never cheaped out on the Ziploc freezer bags, and got Ziploc brand because I think they are better.

I never planned to do all that with my milk, but my mom suggested it given "It's a real shame if one of those broke." It actually ended up being a fairly efficient way to organize it. I also used big Ziploc bags to take my pump parts back and forth everyday to work.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

And just a tip some other bottles fit into this rack too, I believe it was ameda ones, I know for sure the medela ones were too large to fit into the rack. But, I am not positive, positive which bottles it was that fit in the rack. I know I always had the rack full and if I had had to EP for another child I would of bought at least 2 and possibly 3 more of the racks/bottle systems. oh you know what it may of been cheap gerber or evenflo bottles that fit in the rack.....man I can't remember! UHG! However, I always liked the mothers milk mate and ameda bottles the best as they were the best quality, but I would use the cheap ones as back ups.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

That's how I always did it too yogi, both the medela and the lanisnoh ones I did flat till frozen and then bagged up as it helped be able to store more that way too. But, still almost all of them leaked, the medela ones never did. I was always very very careful to try to get it closed very well, I just don't know. Maybe some batches are good from them and some not? I know I was really happy with the price, and thought wow finally hit the jack pot this will help. But, just had a lot of leaks. However, not horrible, I did put them in the freezer bags and then always just made sure to defrost in a bowl. instead of just sitting the bag in the fridge like I could with the medela ones.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Honeysuckle and Simplisse bags are, IME, IMHO, the best.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I use lansinoh bags, now for what I pump at work to transport home, but I used them for freezing and never had a problem. you can purchase on amazon with subscribe and save and are inexpensive.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I do lansinoh from amazon subscribe and save, and I have never had a leak (knock on wood). I also freeze them flat and store them in my ice box.