Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Causes for lower supply

Default Causes for lower supply

Other than supplementing, what can cause a drop in supply?

I'm not sure if my supply dropped or what. DD (14 mo) wants to nurse all day, and I know there's not much milk coming out (or at least not as much as she'd like) because she starts fussing. Usually my letdown comes at around 1 minute or less, but now it is taking foreeever to come, and DD gets mad.

Today after dinner she made the sign for milk, and I actually gave her (for the first time since she was 3 mo) EBM from the freezer. I was a little busy and I just managed last week to cut one feeding and telling her to wait until bedtime. Well today she drank 3 oz and left 1 oz in her sippy. Then at bedtime she nursed both sides 3 times!
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Default Re: Causes for lower supply

i think getting your period back can also cause a dip in supply, but its usually temporary. when this happens to me, my boobs feel really floppy, i take longer to get letdown, Elena gets annoyed, but the peak of it for me is like max 2 days. drink lots of water and try to eat oatmeal if you can.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Pregnancy or the return of your period are the big culprits. And at this age, your supply may go down if your toddler has a busy couple of days and doesn't ask much. It should return no problem, though.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.