Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homeade Rice Cereal

Default Homeade Rice Cereal

Does anyone have a homeade rice cereal recipe?
    The love of my life, Rogelio Federico aka Tre, was born on 22 July 2011.
    Active Duty Army Mom thats hates , but loves : and

Default Re: Homeade Rice Cereal

Short grain brown rice, ground it up in a blender/magic bullet/etc (once it's ground into a powder you can store it in the fridge for a week).

Add a tablespoon or two of the powder to some water and boil gently for ten minutes or so (until it looks smooth and has the right consistency). Start with a little water and gradually add more. You can also thin it out with breastmilk once it's completely cooked it if gets too thick.

ETA: I found these ratio's online:

1/4 c. rice powder (brown rice ground in blender or food processor)
    1 cup water

Directions:

1. Bring liquid to boil in saucepan. Add the rice powder while stirring constantly.
    2. Simmer for 10 minutes, whisking constantly, mix in formula or breast milk and fruits if desired
    3. Serve warm.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thank you! Can I mix it with his breastmilk in a bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tremom View Post
    Thank you! Can I mix it with his breastmilk in a bottle?
    It's not recommended to put cereal in a bottle. Actually I just noticed that your signature says your little one is only 4 month old. It's not recommended to start solids (which includes cereal) until 6 months.

Here's a link called: Why Delay Soilds

In addition to waiting until their disgestive system is ready for solids (around 6 months), the following is a list of signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids:

Baby can sit up well without support.
    Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    Link to full article
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I will not start solids until January. However, I am so excited about it that I am trying to get the skinny on everything way before I start. We are still EBFing.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tremom View Post
    I will not start solids until January. However, I am so excited about it that I am trying to get the skinny on everything way before I start. We are still EBFing.
    I recommend the book Baby-Led Weaning by Gill Rapley.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I agree. It's so much easier to just give baby the same foods we are eating, then making "baby" food, and healthier and cheaper then premade jars of food.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I used the same above recipe when I made homemade rice cereal for my first. My second wouldn't touch solids in ANY form, pureed or table food, until she was 10-11mos old. I would not put it in the baby's bottle, but its ok to get ready for the spoon feeding. I found it very fun and exciting and so did my first. I wouldn't grind up too much rice at first, just until you make sure whether or not your baby likes it
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

That's true Leslie.

Both my girls LOVE rice. HATE pureed things though. I have never "pureed" anything for them. But, because we never "spoon fed" baby food, they don't like anything like that. My 5 year old has just recently (like with in two days ago!) started liking mashed potatoes. She would rather just have a baked potato, loved baked potatoes, but not mashed! Doesn't like apple sauce either! She likes her's to be not mashed/pureed. She loves apples! Just not sauce. lol So I doubt she would of eaten rice cereal, however, her favorite "first" food was puffed brown rice, and she still loves it. She wasn't into solids though till after 2 years old. Well I mean at like 6 to 8 months she did eat puffed brown rice, but that was about all she liked for the next couple of years! lol haha
    "

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

My first would've eaten pureed tree bark if I gave it to him. He ate table foods AND pureed foods. He ate anything and everything in sight. It was hilarious. I think it also helped that he had 16 teeth by a 12mos of age My poor Joey only had 8 teeth at a year, had a HORRIBLE gag-reflex, and major acid-reflux. Poor thing just didn't want ANYTHING but liquids until closer to a year. But she did end up LOVING yogurt, applesauce, pudding, etc. Who knows, LOL. With this next one, I'll probably just play it by ear. I don't mind doing the BLS with mine at home, but when they are in the church nursery or in the care of others, I'm not as comfortable. In that case, I'll leave yogurt, applesauce, cereal, etc for baby to eat.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!