Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething pain - won't nurse - help!

Default Teething pain - won't nurse - help!

My 6 month old suddenly won't nurse. He has been a pretty awesome nurser until tonight.

He has 7 teeth, and we're pretty sure some more of those up top are coming in (thinking the canines are on their way).

He fusses, pulls away, screams, tries to latch, rinse and repeat. I've let him play for a bit longer and then put him back on. Repeat.

He's hungry, but he won't take the breast.

Help!?!?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Teething pain - won't nurse - help!

So, I had some expressed milk and gave him a bottle hoping that he would take something. He took barely an ounce. While my DH was giving it to him, I went in the other room to pump. Out of my right breast, I got maybe 3 drops. Out of the left, I barely got 1/2 an ounce...

?? What gives? Am I just stressed? I know my let-down is slow for him - he can get impatient, but usually, it starts right up in time for him to nurse.

The goofy thing is he JUST ate at 3:30 with no trouble. He always eats again by 5:30 (one side) and then a "nightcap" before he goes to bed around 7pm (the other side).

I'm kind of freaking out here...

I'd be concerned about an ear infection or something worse than teething pain. The only time that Joe did a "nursing strike" and refused to nurse altogether, he had an ear infection. It obviously caused him pain to latch on. Is there any snot or fever?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

No snot. No fever that I can tell - he's normal. He's chewing ridiculously on EVERYTHING.

Have you tried tylenol or motrin for the discomfort and see if he nurses better after the edge is taken off?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yes. We gave him Tylenol around 6 pm. Tried to nurse him up until 645 when I finally got out the EBM so he'd have SOMETHING. He finally ate about 2.5 oz. Did his bath and normal routine - tried the "night cap" - and he wouldn't take it. I laid him down like he likes (he doesn't prefer to be rocked - just wants to be put to bed) and he has cried a little bit. He's quiet now, so I'm hoping he'll get a few hours in and wake in the night to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*richmama View Post
    Yes. We gave him Tylenol around 6 pm. Tried to nurse him up until 645 when I finally got out the EBM so he'd have SOMETHING. He finally ate about 2.5 oz. Did his bath and normal routine - tried the "night cap" - and he wouldn't take it. I laid him down like he likes (he doesn't prefer to be rocked - just wants to be put to bed) and he has cried a little bit. He's quiet now, so I'm hoping he'll get a few hours in and wake in the night to eat.
    A lot of babies will get fussy in the evening but eat well in the middle of the night. Hopefully this is a one-off thing. Let us know tomorrow!

You can call me JoMo!

Gosh, I hope so. Any ideas about my inability to get anything out? Like, seriously, I only got 2 drops or so out of one breast??? I'm just so afraid of losing my supply. I do NOT want to go to formula.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*richmama View Post
    Gosh, I hope so. Any ideas about my inability to get anything out? Like, seriously, I only got 2 drops or so out of one breast??? I'm just so afraid of losing my supply. I do NOT want to go to formula.
    Given that you were so stressed out, I'm going to just assume you were having a hard time with the pump. That's the most likely explanation. Do you do breast compressions? Massaging your breasts can help get them to let down.

There are only a few things that would cause a sudden decrease in supply. A clogged duct (do you have any tender painful spots on your breast?), pregnancy (this is often severe and sudden, so if there is any chance, test!), and the return of your period (that's usually a minor decrease and temporary, just a couple days a month). Could any of these be the culprit?

It sounds like you've been breastfeeding GREAT, so barring some unusual circumstances, you're not going to just lose your supply. Most likely you were just having a really bad evening, you know? Try again tomorrow.

You can call me JoMo!