Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor latch, tongue tie, oversupply...

Default Re: Poor latch, tongue tie, oversupply..

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*adb821 View Post
    Just an idea...are you sure the clipping really released all of the restricted tissue of his tongue? I suggest this because that's what happened with us- at 5 weeks my DS had his tongue clipped by an ENT- just the typical quick snip with scissors. I continued to have pain, and my LC said she still felt restriction when she put her finger under his tongue, so we ended up taking him to a pediatric dentist to have the tongue released with a laser. Sometimes the tongue can partially (or completely) reattach itself or sometimes they don't clip far enough back, and the procedure needs to be done again. I've actually heard it's very common to have to do it twice! We had it done at the end of October and it took a good couple weeks to notice real improvement. Maybe look into having his tongue re-evaluated just so you know if they got it all?
    I feel your pain- DS is almost 4months too and I'm finally seeing what pain-free nursing is supposed to feel like!
    Thanks! We've contacted the dentist who clipped it and hopefully we'll go back to see him (he's an hour away). Did you do any exercises after the second time that helped?

Odd suggestion but have you tried nursing in the bath tub? We didn't have tongue tie but did have over supply and fast let down issues plus colic. For whatever reason a nice deep warm bath was enough to help us both relax and my daughter nursed really well every time. Another thing that really helped was to latch her on and then take her off and let the first let down go into a towel or receiving blanket, then re-latch her. She then could nurse without having to struggle through the spray of milk. My supply regulated between 5 and 6 months, which I believe is on the later side. As my daughter got older she became better at handling the flow and it wasn't an issue anymore.

We were given a few exercises by my LC, but I'll admit I didn't do them as often as I should have. She told me to play tug-of-war with a paci, let him suck on my finger, nail side down, to draw out his tongue, and stick my fingers under his tongue (when he'd let me) and gently stretch the tongue upwards.
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience with CST. We did that too and it made a big difference. DS never cried during it- it was very gentle. Maybe see if you can find someone else to do it if clipping again doesn't solve everything? We used a CST certified pediatric chiropractor.
    Let us know how you make out at the dentist!
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again

We had his tongue clipped yesterday at the dentist. We'll see how things progress! His feeding hasn't been any different yet, but I'm trying to be patient.

I just wanted to chime in about the CST-- it is normal for babies to cry during a CST session-- when a restriction is getting released it can feel uncomfy for a baby and they respond in the only way they know how- by crying. ( i mean, babies will cry when they get gas-- not ideal to hear a baby cry of course but you get my drift I hope) I learned that in the second CST class I took, where they did a demo on a baby, and right as the instructor was releasing the restriction the baby started crying and stopped as soon as it released. Same thing with my DD when she's been worked on. I know it can be distressing to hear, and it sounds like she didn't communicate that fact very well. Nevertheless, in case you wanted to seek out anoher CST pracitioner, thought I'd throw that out there. Also, I live in NW OH and I could ask around for some referrals to other CST practitioners in C-bus if you're wanting to try again. Hope the dentist was ae to help out, rendering my post irrelevant!
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

Is it a bad sign that his latch is much more painful after the tongue revision? It feels like the first weeks after he was born, when it was tear jerkingly painful. I have two open sores now on my nipple. Does it get worse before it gets better? :-(

Mine didn't get worse before it got better... I am just a first time mom so I don't have much helpful advice, but I definitely don't think that is a good sign. Have you tried putting your finger in his mouth to see how he is sucking? I'm so sorry mama, hope someone here can help you more!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*columbusmumsy View Post
    Is it a bad sign that his latch is much more painful after the tongue revision? It feels like the first weeks after he was born, when it was tear jerkingly painful. I have two open sores now on my nipple. Does it get worse before it gets better? :-(
    I'm sorry! Maybe you just have some nipple trauma that needs to heal? Mine took a little while to feel better but didn't get worse after the procedure. Maybe try some salt water soaks to help them heal faster, or pump for 24hours or so to give them a break? That's what my LC had me do when mine were really damaged... I would go back to the LC and see if she can work with you both to get his latch on track with his new tongue. He probably just hasn't figured out how to use it properly yet? Try those exercises I mentioned before too.
    And keep an eye on those sores- APNO maybe? Just so you don't get thrush or any infections on top of the latch stuff.

Hang in there, mama! Try to give it a little more time before you get discouraged!
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, enjoying having a little nursling again

Default Re: Poor latch, tongue tie, oversupply...

Just wanted to give an update in case anyone is having the same problems as we did. My little guy is almost 8 months and breastfeeding is finally "easy" and enjoyable! After his second tongue clipping, the pain while nursing would periodically get so bad! Never figured that out, but maybe he was still learning how to use his new tongue. Around 6.5 months the pain went away, and it hasn't returned. I'm still nursing him frequently (8-10/day), but he doesn't get as frustrated. We're dealing with nursing while distracted, but that's normal and manageable. He finally relaxes while nursing before naps and bedtime, which is such a great feeling. He is getting his first tooth. I was worried it would be painful again, but so far, so good! Who knows if the tongue clipping solved the problem, but I'm glad our persistence paid off. I was unsure we would make it this far; my goal is to nurse him for at least one year and this now seems attainable. Hope our story helps others with the same frustrations!

Default Re: Poor latch, tongue tie, oversupply...

Yes the tongue is like a muscle, if it's tied down and they can't use it properly it takes them a while to start using it and making it stronger and use it correctly/propperly.

I know this cause I was born tongue tied, they didn't clip it. But, it gave me problems, including a horrible speech impediment, till a ENT said it had to be clipped, said it was the worst he had ever seen and couldn't believe I could talk at all. Any way, it took a year of exercises/therapy after the clipping to get correct use of it.

With my son I figured out he was tongue tied pretty quickly and had it clipped with in the first week, however, I continued to use the shield, testing about once a day to see if it still hurt with out it....took a few weeks if I remember right (he's almost 6 months now and I can't remember exactly how long we used the shield) any way, he's doing great now too. But, yes you are right it takes a little while for them to get proper use of it.

CONGRATS on hanging in there, and having it go good now!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~