Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Shoud you use compression when breastfeeding?

Default Shoud you use compression when breastfeeding?

Please advise...thanks!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Shoud you use compression when breastfeeding?

I usually use it when Chloe has sort of gotten lazy or fallen asleep while feeding.

I use it when Collin falls asleep or starts just nibbling. If he doesn't start taking longer sucks, I can assume the breast is empty. I also use compression when he starts pulling and turning his head because I thought those might be signs that he is frustrated by the slower flow of milk. I'd say to do whatever works best for you. Just dont assume that the baby is done eating when they fall asleep...nusring is a BIG job for such a little person

I tend to do compressions during night time feedings to help make sure my LO gets a full tummy. I was noticing that he had a pattern of nursing just enough to get rid of the "hungry" feeling, then falling back asleep, then wanting to nurse again in 1 or 2 hours. With compressions it seems that he'll nurse longer, get more milk, and let both of us get a little more sleep.

The short answer is not necessarily Breast compressions aren't even necessary unless you're working to get a little extra into the baby (because of low weight gain or sleepiness, etc.).

If you feel you DO need to use compressions, put the baby to the breast and let him/her suckle until they stop. THEN compress the breast gently, and let go as soon as the baby starts to suckle again. Repeat as necessary until baby doesn't respond to compressions any more. At that point, you can offer the other breast or let baby sleep.

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!