Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping on days off?

Default pumping on days off?

I work 8 days on, then 6 days off. would there be any need to pump on my days off? what about at night? when pumping during 10 -12 hour shift i pump 4-5 x & get total of about 20 - 25 oz daily. should i be throwing in that night pump i've been reading others do, too? son is 7.5 wks, takes ~2 oz every 2 hours. i'm away from him 11 - 13 hrs at a time when working. i also work swing shifts. one set will be evening, the other will be overnights. would the night pump be included with the overnights or just when i'm sleeping?

Default Re: pumping on days off?

Normally the goal would be to pump as much as your LO is drinking when you are gone. It sounds like you are doing fine at that, so I personally (and I don't) wouldn't add in extra pumping times at night or when you are off.

Is your son sleeping through the night? I am hoping that someone who does night shifts can chime in on this, but I would guess that you should pump on the swing shifts like your LO would be eating normally at that time.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Happynifer works nights and only pumps while at work. I think I would only pump while away from baby and I'd try to pump as close to whenever baby normally nurses. If baby doesn't nurse overnight, then you get a pass unless you notice you are full and it's bothersome.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

He does not sleep through the night. We were getting 2x3 hour stretches in between but now that I've been back to work thats not the least bit reliable! Getting a pass would be nice, though!