Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: At my wits end

Default At my wits end

My son is 5 months old does not sleep through the night and is extremely crabby in the evenings. I work full-time. He gets EBM at daycare and is nursed at home. He's never had formula but I'm half tempted to try it. I am worn down and exhausted. He goes to bed at 8pm, wakes at 11pm, wakes at 3 and then is up for the day at 5 am. As soon as I get home at night (5pm) he cries and wants to be held constantly. I have started him on baby food (once at supper time), I've tried teething tablets, tylenol, etc and nothing helps.

I am miserable!! Any advice would be appreciated. I'm ready to crack. I also have a 5 & 7 year old. And a husband that works 7 days a week and no support from family.

Default Re: At my wits end

And I have a lipase issue so I'm scalding my milk. I just dont think i can do this anymore. I'm so unhappy and just exhausted.

hi mama! some days are just very hard ... sometimes it goes on for more than a few days it it feels unbearable. that is how life can be and i'm sorry to hear you are suffering.

i remember when i was just back to work and pumping and scalding. it is exhausting.

i promise the pumping gets easier. even though i hate scalding that gets easier too.

what method are you using to scald and how often do you need to do it?

babywearing and cosleeping were very important for me, made my life much better. do you have a baby carrier? i love my ergo

I have a wrap but he hates it. My milk will last a good day before it gets bad so I just scald in the evening after I put the kids to bed. I just wish he wasn't so fussy. I literally can't do anything in the evening. And all I'd like to do is get supper done and some things picked up without him crying the whole time.

Have you tried a sling or soft structured carrier. By that age my kids both preferred the ergo. Having my hands free some of the time kept me sane.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

does he reject the milk after a day? i used to scald every day (using the bottle warmer method) but i only scald when i freeze now, very infrequently. i would try to give him you milk the next day.

also, fussy evenings are a way of life for awhile for most of us. i gave up on dinner for awhile, we all ate a lot of soups, grilled cheese, chicken nuggets, cereal if i had not made anything on sunday to freeze. after a long day at work my lo needed to be held and snuggle. i put aside dinner for a few months because thats what he needed. and i am a person who loves good food and loves to cook. it just wasnt something that fit in with us at that time. he's 9 months now and things are better. planning ahead is key. doubling recipes and freezing really is great!!! i try to do this on sundays.

i make my older son's snacks/lunch and clean up a little after my lo goes to bed. my husband helps out too and he works a ton.

you are at a tough time where he needs you and really misses you. it will soon change.

My littlest is this way. Very clingy. It is normal, but tough when I've got things to do. Ergo. He also hates the wrap. But he is better in an Ergo for short periods of time.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

being a SAHM to DD born 12/09

I survived those days by wearing Joe in the side or back position in the Ergo so that I could bounce him around while I got some things done. He was MUCH LESS fussy if I did that. The nights are really hard, I hear you. Joe starting teething around four months, got his first tooth at five months, and had seven more teeth in the next three months. We basically didn't sleep.

One thing that always helped me, was to remind myself that this will CHANGE. It's not permanent. You can survive almost anything for a short while. It's the idea that this is how it's going to be for a long time that makes you despair, but with small children, that's basically NEVER the case. Find ways to get through TODAY. Then tomorrow. You can do it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    You can do it.
    -Arin

Sealed for time and eternity to Chris on 08/26/10
    Mom to Ezra 06/24/11
    and Rebekah 12/27/13
    Proudly