Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Overeating? How many ounces should my 12 day old be eating in one sitting?

Default Overeating? How many ounces should my 12 day old be eating in one sitting?

I'm prolly a victim of poor advice, but I heard one ounce at a feeding was about normal. My baby eats 3-4 out of a bottle at night, for my husband. Is there something wrong here? I end up pumping 6- 8 ounces extra each day as it is...

Default Re: Overeating? How many ounces should my 12 day old be eating in one sitting?

I think at 12 days old somewhere around 2-3 ounces, but beware of nipple confusion at this age. A paci/ bottle should really not be introduced until around week 4 or so. And the other issue is that unless your pumping when the baby eats in the night, your supply maybe affected as well.

Here's some info on nipple confusion

http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com...ingnipple.html

Default Re: Overeating? How many ounces should my 12 day old be eating in one sitting?

3-4 oz seems like a lot for a 12 day old to be eating at one sitting. Most babies will take more from a bottle than from the breast b/c they don't have to work for it. The desire to just suck is answered by food ALWAYS with a bottle - not so with the breast. I agree with the PP - beware of introducing a bottle before BF is WELL established (usually 4-6 wks). If you have to bottle feed right now try aliquoting less milk per bottle (1-2oz) and see if that satiates your LO.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I totally agree about the nipple confusion, but I was directed by my Dr. and my pschiatrist to get 5-6 hours of sleep in a row at night. It makes me feel weird about letting my husband give the baby a bottle, but it is to try and off set the post-partum psychosis I developed.
    As for giving the baby less milk in the bottle, he just acts hungry and roots around until we give him more...?

Right around 12 days old, my DS went through a HUGE growth spurt... I mean HUUUUUUUUGGGGE..He ate 12 oz at once! I FREAKED and called the ped at 4am and he said to just let him eat it... As long as it wasn't coming back up, he needed it. After DS ate 12 1/2 oz, he calmed down, curled up and went to sleep...I made the bottle in 2 oz amounts and after every bottle, he screamed and screamed for more.

In terms of sleep... Try feeding DS while laying down. You may not be able to get a deep sleep that way but you should be able to sleep. Also, feed DS as soon as DH gets home and then lay down. Again, you may not get straight sleep but you could get more sleep... Then have DH bring the baby to you, lay the baby down next to you and latch him on and go back to sleep (DH could probably even latch the baby on without you having to wake, if you showed him how).

Good luck!