Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Using my nipple as a pacifier?

Default Using my nipple as a pacifier?

Is it ok to let my DS suck on my nipple for sport? Many times he will just want to nurse just to have something to suck on, but isn't even close to being hungry. Or he might "chew" on my nipple. I guess he thinks its a toy or something
    The love of my life, Rogelio Federico aka Tre, was born on 22 July 2011.
    Active Duty Army Mom thats hates , but loves : and

Default Re: Using my nipple as a pacifier?

Yep, it's fine to nurse for several reasons. Providing closeness and comfort is simple one of a thousand reasons why nursing is better than a cold formula bottle.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

It's totally okay! Although I would probably discourage any "chewing" by unlatching. You don't have to put up with annoying nursing habits, but if you're okay and baby's happy, then that's great! Nursing is a lot more than just food to babies - if they're latched on, they know mama is close, and it's comforting and snuggly.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I don't mind it at all. My DS is so silly, so it gives me something laugh at.
    The love of my life, Rogelio Federico aka Tre, was born on 22 July 2011.
    Active Duty Army Mom thats hates , but loves : and

The breast is the original pacifier. When a baby sucks on a paci, he's using it as a substitute for the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

my lo does that too especially when we've been apart all day. i love it i call it mommy and eli special time
    mommy of one at home and at work

DD2 uses me as a pacifier, particularly when she's tired. See nothing wrong with it, but like PP said, I would stop the chewing. You really won't enjoy that when teeth come in!!! OUCH!