Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is azithromycin safe?

Default Is azithromycin safe?

I think I have strep (rapid was negative but I have all the classic signs) and my doctor prescribed azithromycin. My daughter's peds office said it was safe but the pharmacist says that it's safe for pregnant women and unknown for breastfeeding. I called the Dr. on-call and have yet to hear back.

Anyone taken this and continue to breastfeed their baby? Just looking for advice.

Thanks

Default Re: Is azithromycin safe?

I took it, continued to nurse, and it was all fine. Hope you feel better soon. Strep sucks!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Very little research has been done on medications during breastfeeding, so for most medications nobody can say with certainty that they're safe while breastfeeding. However, the book Medications and Mothers' Milk covers what research has been done, and says that the one study available "would suggest that the level of azithromycin ingested by a breastfeeding infant is not clinically relevant," and lists it as an L2 (safer).
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

That drug is also very frequently prescribed to babies for ear and upper respiratory infections. Its a good, broad-spectrum antibiotic and can cause some tummy upset. I'd make sure to eat it with some yogurt, but my daughter was on azithromycin several times before a 8mos of age for raging ear infections and it was fine. If babies can take it themselves, then why not nurse? Especially since much less passes through the milk
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Just wanted to give an update in case someone is in this situation later. My daughter has shown no side effects except she is pooping more but that could just be coincidental. Also, when I was at work, I wasn't able to pump as much (about 1-2 oz less total for the day), so slight dip in my supply but not enough to cause problems when I am with my daughter.

I may have been because you were ill, too, not because of the medications (your slight dip in supply) I took that medication once while breastfeeding and it didn't seem to hurt, my daughter was also 18 mos at the time so breastmilk wasn't her primary source of nutrition then.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.