Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awful biting issue :(

Default Awful biting issue :(

Hi everyone!

I have been successfully nursing my daughter for 8 1/2 months. She got teeth early- 3 months- but she's all of sudden now starting very painful biting. For a while it seemed she would bite/nip when she was done. Now, she's asking for the breast and after 20-30 seconds, she's chomping down hard. I went back to work full time three months ago, and I'm afraid it might have something to do with her being frustrated that the breast does not offer milk as quickly as the bottle. It's been so bad that I'm super reluctant to nurse and if she bites, I immediately pull her off, pump, and give her a bottle. I know this will only get worse if I don't keep trying, but I can't figure out how to get her to nurse anymore! (She does nurse pretty well before/during naps and overnight -we co-sleep- and only bites when she's awake.)

One more piece of info- she loves to be scared. Yelping, saying "no", pulling her into the breast- all these things make her laugh...

I'd love to avoid exclusively pumping, so any advice would be SO greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Default Re: Awful biting issue :(

Welcome! It sucks when they chomp, doesn't it! I agree: if you keep ending the feeding and offering the bottle, there's a good possibility that your baby will decide that she doesn't want the breast any longer, and you'll get stuck EPing. I kind of winder if maybe you're not already in this situation, a little bit... It's possible that your baby has learned that a bite means an end to nursing and a segue to that nice easy bottle. What would happen if, instead of pumping and offering the bottle, you just put her down and walked away for a few minutes, and then returned and tried nursing again? Maybe that way she would learn that biting means being left hungry, and therefore she shouldn't do it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Welcome! It sucks when they chomp, doesn't it! I agree: if you keep ending the feeding and offering the bottle, there's a good possibility that your baby will decide that she doesn't want the breast any longer, and you'll get stuck EPing. I kind of winder if maybe you're not already in this situation, a little bit... It's possible that your baby has learned that a bite means an end to nursing and a segue to that nice easy bottle. What would happen if, instead of pumping and offering the bottle, you just put her down and walked away for a few minutes, and then returned and tried nursing again? Maybe that way she would learn that biting means being left hungry, and therefore she shouldn't do it.
    with this.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

That's totally true- I hadn't thought of that. Do you think that the process of pumping isn't long enough for her to disassociate the two? I guess I get so frazzled when she's freaking out that I'd rather do the pumping right away bc it takes a good 10 min on a good day. That whole time she's usually freaking out and I'm usually alone so I can't comfort her easily. I will try that... I'm so nervous to let her scream though

I think what they are saying is instead of pumping that 10 minutes do something else and then the same time frame you would give the bottle give your breast again. Keep doing that till she doesn't bite. You don't have to let her scream it out for LONG, just enough where she gets the point that biting=no food.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

It doesn't even have to be a long wait between offers of the breast. I wouldn't wait 10 minutes, but I'd probably wait 1 minute. And if she bites again, take her off and wait 1 minute again. Repeat. You want her to get the idea that biting = an end to feeding and an end to fun, and the more repeats you get in there, the better!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah,I would not pump. Who wants to pump when they have a snuggly, cute baby to nurse? But the idea is more to teach baby that biting is unacceptable and does not result in a bottle. Bottle feeding could be the root cause...some babies learn to prefer the faster flow from a bottle and start biting the breast thinking it will get more milk. The other thing to do is go get new slow flow nipples your baby has to work at to get milk from while you are at work. And no bottles at home.

I had a kid too who thought making mommy jump was very funny, and he would bite if I yelled, but putting him down and walking away for a minute bugged him. I came right back, where he would latch on like he was in the middle of a desert dying of thirst. I would keep a close eye on him, as sometimes he would start thinking about biting again after a few minutes, and I would get ready to repeat the lesson.

Yes, they are little, but they can have some nursing manners.

Watch and feel for signs of biting. The moment she pulls her tongue back -- which she has to do to bite -- pop her off. And this would not be a situation in which I would allow a lot of play or boredom nursing; that is when you will be bitten. Baby would need to be hungry. And I would offer nursing first before solids.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you for the excellent advice, everyone! Any recommendations on the slow-flow nipple brands? I use Dr. Brown right now- should I go back to a level 1 nipple or get a bunch of new bottles (eek!)?
    (Yes- I understood that was what the advice was saying- I just wondered if she wouldbe able to associate "biting = bottle" if the two were separated by lots of time. I'm just getting SO anxious to nurse because it hurts so badly and that kind of pain does not exactly bring out patient, loving Mommy. I'm actually quite tense now when she latches!)

For sure go back to level 1 or what ever the slowest flow nipple there is, never ever go above the slowest flow, there is never a reason for a breast fed baby to go higher then the slowest flow nipple.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Ok thanks! I just tried to nurse her- she's turning away and crying :'( I am pumping bc I was so full I was in pain and I'm afraid my supply will suffer (an issue I've faught back and forth). We'll try again soon ...