Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: heading back to work next week...

Default heading back to work next week...

i am just curious, going back to work, baby is 10 weeks old. how many bottles with approx ounces would you leave? i will be away from baby for 9 hours or so. my son is a "snacker" and it's hard to know how many times he will want to eat while i'm gone.

Default Re: heading back to work next week...

The general rule is 1 - 1 1/2 oz per hour you are away, which would work out to 9 to 13.5 oz. If he is a snacker, you might pack 2 oz bottles. My LO, who is definitely a snacker when I am with him, usually eats 3 4 oz bottles (not snacking) when I am gone.

Here is some good information on feeding the breastfed baby.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Good luck returning to work!
    My girls eat 10-12oz in 11 hours. They only eat ~6 times a day, so the 10-12oz is in 2 bottles (they would normally nurse 2-3 times in that same span). I nurse them right before leaving and right when I get home.
    If yours is a snacker I would definitely leave small bottles, probably 2 ounces a piece.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

wow my LO eats 4-5 5oz bottles while im away. of course he's four months and weighs 15 lbs and is 25 inches long. good luck on returning to work
    mommy of one at home and at work

thanks ladies!!! i guess it will be trial and error for a couple weeks until he gets into a routine at the babysitters! when i nursed my first son (now 2,) i had it down to a science before i returned to work...now, because i have a toddler and the newborn i feel so frazzled. i never pay attention to the times he eats or how many times a day...i just know it's a lot...a lot more than my first, haha. thanks again!!