Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constipation and solids?

Default Constipation and solids?

We started solids with my baby at 6 months, and now she's 7.5 months. We started slowly--once a day the first month, now twice a day. Very small portions, usually 1-2 oz per meal. I give her fruit and veggie purees, and brown rice cereal (Happy Bellies). For the first month and a half she's been very regular, with one big poop in the morning and 2-4 smaller poops throughout the day (she's always been a pooper). This week, however, she's been plugging up. She went two days without pooping, then when she pooped (after a whole day of only BM, no solids) the first poop was the consistency of peanut butter. Then another big poop with the normal consistency for her. I thought she had unplugged, but... then the next day no poop. Today no poop. So two days again with no poop. Lots of gas though.
    Any suggestions on how to change her diet to improve this? I will start giving her prunes but was wondering about other things.

Also, she has a lot of food sensitivities (I'm off dairy, soy, nuts, and gluten) so a lot of things are off-limits now.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Default Re: Constipation and solids?

Does she seem uncomfortable when she is passing her poop? Signs of constipation also include dry, pellet like stools. Peanut butter consistency, in fact, is not uncommon for EBF babies who aren't getting any solids. The pattern you describe doesn't seem to be out of the realm of normal for healthy bowel movements.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Thanks, Erin. I didn't see her poop--put her in the crib, came back 10 minutes later and there was a little gift in her diaper for me. So, I don't know if it was painful. She seems her usual happy self otherwise, except for passing A LOT of gas all day long. At some points she seems uncomfortable with the gas, but then again she's also teething, so who knows. It's just bizarre for me, because she used to poop so much ever since she was born.

i love my little one

Are you giving her any bananas or apples? They're fruits but they can really slow a baby down. I'd concentrate on P fruits (peaches, plums, prunes aPricots), cherries, blueberries, and maybe give her a probiotic. You also might want to cut out the cereal, just for now, even though it's brown rice and not white rice.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No bananas yet but a lot of apples. I had no idea, will definitely stop the apples for now! And the cereal. It's the third day and still no poop... She seems blissful though, I'm the one freaking out about it.

She loves squash, I'm not sure if squash is constipating. I was going to try giving her sweet potatoes today--do you know if they are also binding?

Part of me just wants to nurse her with no solids for a few days to "cleanse" her but it's not a sustainable solution in the long run, for her bowels. I mean, it'll be good if her body learns to be regular with solid food. I've struggled with constipation my whole life and I don't want that for my baby!

i love my little one

A little bit of water given w solids may also help
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Thanks, Christine! I'll make sure to thin out her purees with a little water.

She just pooped, finally! The poop had the consistency of PB, so I guess she's not constipated. But... the smell... it was SO STINKY!!! Maybe something is changing in her digestive system. My DH and I were not prepared. Up until now she had sweet BM poops, and even the foods she ate came out sweet on the other end. Her previous poop smelled of apples and cherry.

With such stinky poops I can appreciate the longer intervals... just not sure how to avoid getting her room so stinky since we change her in there.

i love my little one

Also, I just remembered the other thing that changed this week--I finally got my OS under control (knock on wood). I wonder if that's also related.

i love my little one

glad to hear you got some poop? sorry about the short message before, was replying from my cell, but i meant you can offer water in a cup or spoon in addition to the solids. i think if you want to thin the purees out if they are too thick, i always hand expressed a little bm there and that did the trick.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog