Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it too small?

Default Is it too small?

Right, I got my new pump today, and I did pump today got quite a bit out.
    The thing is, when I pump my nipple is in the flange but from the top..I can see my areola rub against the flange.. It says in the booklet that if you see the nipple rub against the sides of the flange then the flange is too small. My nipple doesn't rub but the areola does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZuBky5vmTU I mean I think thats the nipple rubbing against the sides.. for me, it's not like that, it's the areola. Which would mean that if I got a bigger one, obviously it won't make a difference.

Default Re: Is it too small?

I had the same issue and if i pumped once or twice in a day it didn't cause a problem, but when I was trying to increase supply it would cause thrush like pain (i kind of freaked myself out a little bit). I ended up getting a smaller flange (21mm) and that helped me a ton.
    -Arin

Sealed for time and eternity to Chris on 08/26/10
    Mom to Ezra 06/24/11
    and Rebekah 12/27/13
    Proudly

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*arin-dn View Post
    I had the same issue and if i pumped once or twice in a day it didn't cause a problem, but when I was trying to increase supply it would cause thrush like pain (i kind of freaked myself out a little bit). I ended up getting a smaller flange (21mm) and that helped me a ton.
    ahhhh man. Where did you get it from?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*arin-dn View Post
    Would it be this? http://www.amedaonline.com/amfl1.html

It's in america though, anywhere in the uk?

That brand comes with a standard 24 mm horn. And what you are describing is a horn that is too small.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    That brand comes with a standard 24 mm horn. And what you are describing is a horn that is too small.
    It comes with 25mm. Won't I need a 21mm, as the bigger I get..the more of my areola would go in

I'm sitting here looking at the horns that came with mine, and it says 24 mm on the side Neither here nor there. It's just that most moms don't even know there is a standard size or what it is.

I personally find it more comfortable and gets me more milk to include more aerola. If it doesn't hurt, then . Try a smaller if you think this is wrong.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I'm sitting here looking at the horns that came with mine, and it says 24 mm on the side Neither here nor there. It's just that most moms don't even know there is a standard size or what it is.

I personally find it more comfortable and gets me more milk to include more aerola. If it doesn't hurt, then . Try a smaller if you think this is wrong.
    Ahh mines says 25 haha. Maybe it's just new and my boobs will get useto it..may be a bit sore first? I don't know lol.

How often do you pump.
    What would happend if I was to pump every hour and a half? wouldn't I get just a little bit of milk out and if I did it after 3 hours id'e just get more out.. what's the difference?

I pump every 4-6 hours.

BUT!!!!! BUT !!!!!! BUT!!!!!!

I WORKED my way up to that. When I had a baby who was 5 weeks old, I was pumping every 2-3 hours. Around the clock. I NEVER went past 4 if I could help it in those early weeks. I did a couple times, when I didn't hear my alarm at night. I still don't go past 6 hours, and that's at night (I am up until 12:30 to pump every night). At your stage of the game, YOU MUST BE PUMPING AT NIGHT. There is no getting around it. Hormone levels are highest at night. You need to take full advantage.

Second BUT!!!

I have a very good friend who found recently (she has a cleft child like mine) that she is unable to go more than 3 hours. She cut her sessions, now that her child is over 12 months and has had his second palate surgery, and now is losing her milk sooner than she had planned. Like in a WEEK, she has lost more than half of her output! So BE CAREFUL.

IT IS NOT ABOUT THE AMOUNTS YOU ARE PUMPING AT THE BEGINNING.

It is about establishing a BASE you can work off of as your baby grows. If you don't pump a lot at the beginning, you won't be able to back down and make the same amount of milk but collect it in fewer pumpings. I'm pumping 32+ oz, but if I needed to and added a session, because I put in the time at the beginning, I could up my amount relatively easily. There is a mom here who rebuilt her supply, but it took months, and she has to take domperidone continuously to provide for her child.

It is about establishing hormone receptors in these early weeks. You don't do that, and you will CAP yourself at X amount very early. And it won't be enough for your bigger baby. A dry breast makes more receptors than one that is allowed to fill up before being emptied.

So, again, to EP:

1. pump frequently. Every 2-3 hours is best.
    2. at least one session between midnight and 5AM. Two is better.
    3. plan to do this for 12 weeks.
    4. use the best quality pump you can, such as a hospital grade pump.
    5. use the right size of horns
    6. change your membranes out frequently
    7. once you are past that 12 weeks, you can start merging sessions together. You will not, however, go from pumping 4 oz and 4 oz every 2 hours, for example, to making 8 oz at 4 hours, but you'll probably make more like 6. However, you might make more. To merge, don't just stop it. Move it slowly so you don't feel engorged, just full, and pump. \
    8. Shoot for 120 minutes in 24 hours. That means that once you do start merging sessions, they will be longer. My 4-6 sessions a day are at least 30 minutes each. The first one of the morning takes an hour.
    9. Use breast compressions. You can't just sit there and rely on the pump' suction to fully and completely drain your breasts.
    10. be prepared to want to quit. Many EPing mothers want to quit at 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, and 9 months, which is when all the growth spurts happen too. Most pumping moms hit a wall at 9 months where it's just plain hard. And it's compounded because you don't have the hormonal kick a breastfeeding mother gets to keep going. It's just this stupid pump sucking at you. It takes grit to keep going.

Pump for a few minutes past when you stop seeing drops of milk or can't easily express milk into the pump. This helps keep your supply robust.

The issue for pumping moms is supply. Most mothers, even mothers who easily breastfed babies in the past, have major problems with adequate output. I believe that does not have to be the case if moms would follow the above. I'm working with a mom IRL now who has to EP (a cleft baby) and she is struggling, struggling as of yet. But I'm sure we will get there.

If you google around, you will find a lot of information on EPing. You'll see I'm not making this stuff up. It's HARD. It's way, way more work than breastfeeding becomes. There are some really good instructions at iVillage, IIRC, that say basically the same thing.
    Susan

Is english a first or second language for you, cause I feel like maybe you are misunderstanding us or having a hard time understanding us.

Many, including myself have tried numerous times to explain to you, the more often you extract milk from your breast the MORE milk you make, the less often you extract it the less you will make. It's that simple there is no way around it, that's just the way it is. The quicker you take the milk out the quicker your body makes milk, the longer you let it set there the more your body thinks ok it's not being used, so why make it!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~