Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how do I get more out

Default how do I get more out

I express and do not bf at the moment, right now I get 3-4oz in total after every 3 hours I did get 5-6 oz before but I dont know whats happend. What can I do to get that amount again as now ive been getting only 3

Default Re: how do I get more out

When milk supply decreases, it is usually because the body interprets the level of demand it is experiencing as a sign that it is producing too much milk. The usual culprits: not nursing/pumping often enough or for long enough, skipping nursing/pumping sessions.

The keys to getting more milk:
    1. Nurse the baby, if the baby will still nurse.
    2. Increase pumping frequency. If you've been pumping every 3 hours, switch to pumping every 2 hours.
    3. Increase pumping duration. If you've been pumping 10 minutes per breast, switch to pumping 15 or 20 minutes per breast.
    4. Use a better pump, preferably a hospital-grade pump.
    5. Include some power pumping in your daily routine. (Power pumping: pump for 10 minutes, rest for 10, pump for 10, rest for 10, and then pump once more for 10 minutes for a total of 30 minutes of pumping in a 1-hour period.)
    6. Try herbal galactogogues (milk increasers) like fenugreek, blessed thistle, and oatmeal.
    7. As a last resort, talk to your health care provider about using prescription galactogogues like Reglan or Domperidone.
    8. Remember that using galactogogues is NOT a substitute for frequent and complete milk removal using the baby or the pump. They can help, but they do not do the job all by themselves.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    When milk supply decreases, it is usually because the body interprets the level of demand it is experiencing as a sign that it is producing too much milk. The usual culprits: not nursing/pumping often enough or for long enough, skipping nursing/pumping sessions.

The keys to getting more milk:
    1. Nurse the baby, if the baby will still nurse.
    2. Increase pumping frequency. If you've been pumping every 3 hours, switch to pumping every 2 hours.
    3. Increase pumping duration. If you've been pumping 10 minutes per breast, switch to pumping 15 or 20 minutes per breast.
    4. Use a better pump, preferably a hospital-grade pump.
    5. Include some power pumping in your daily routine. (Power pumping: pump for 10 minutes, rest for 10, pump for 10, rest for 10, and then pump once more for 10 minutes for a total of 30 minutes of pumping in a 1-hour period.)
    6. Try herbal galactogogues (milk increasers) like fenugreek, blessed thistle, and oatmeal.
    7. As a last resort, talk to your health care provider about using prescription galactogogues like Reglan or Domperidone.
    8. Remember that using galactogogues is NOT a substitute for frequent and complete milk removal using the baby or the pump. They can help, but they do not do the job all by themselves.
    Ooooh thank you ever-so much!

3. Increase pumping duration. If you've been pumping 10 minutes per breast, switch to pumping 15 or 20 minutes per breast.the
    What if you are not producing milk? I am usually 'empty' in a few mins, should I keep going if nothing is coming out??
    Is it ok to leave everything set up or do I need to empty the bottles, rinse everything out, etc?
    Married 10/30/10 to DH Ryan
    DD Ruby 9/20/11

Currently and learning

I breastfeed because I couldn't produce enough formula.

Yes keep pumping for a bit after milk stops coming out. Yes you can leave everything set up. Breast milk is fine at room temp for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*redruby View Post
    What if you are not producing milk? I am usually 'empty' in a few mins, should I keep going if nothing is coming out??

Is it ok to leave everything set up or do I need to empty the bottles, rinse everything out, etc?
    Yes, pump for like 5 minutes after you stop getting drops, at least. You might get a second letdown. Switch to that quick express (or change the settings to fast but gentle suction) and see if you can restimulate your breasts.

I leave everything all day. I put it in the fridge between session.

Are you attempting to EP or are you nursing too?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Are you attempting to EP or are you nursing too?
    I'm nursing but go back to work in less then a month (Dec 19). I'm a bit panicky because right now I'm pumping next to nothing when I was getting 2oz combined.
    Married 10/30/10 to DH Ryan
    DD Ruby 9/20/11

Currently and learning

I breastfeed because I couldn't produce enough formula.

I would suggest starting your own thread so it doesn't get lost in here, and so others might see it, but you can do this.

What pump do you have? Is it new? Does it have new membranes? Do you have the right sized horns? Have you just started pumping? Are you pumping after nursing? Is baby doing well EBF?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!