Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peppermint Ice Cream

Default Re: Peppermint Ice Cream

Yes I think that is a good approach. Trust your instincts! Of course you want to do everything you can to keep your supply appropriate. I just put my two cents in because I hate to see moms depriving themselves unnecessarily in order to breastfeed. Life is tough enough! Peppermint ice cream is just the (tasty) tip of that particular iceburg, I see moms putting themselves on really harsh elimination diets for no good reason, and I find it frustrating sometimes!

You are right to look at diaper output, that and weight gain are the most accurate ways to make sure baby is getting enough-and if baby is getting enough, that means your supply is fine, assuming you are exclusively bfding. Baby behavior is a clue, of course, but sucking on fists or baby wanting to nurse more may simply mean-baby wants to nurse more, which is just fine. Babies nurse for comfort/the joy of it and nutrition & happily usually get both simultaneously. In this way, you & your milk are kind of like peppermint ice cream for your baby, (if someone invented super nutritious totally healthy peppermint ice cream complete with immune system protection etc.)

BTW, I don’t know how old your baby is or how much baby is nursing. But if baby is wanting to nurse more, usually I would say-let baby nurse more! Baby nursing frequently is almost always the best and easiest way to maintain appropriate supply, and of course it also helps keep baby happy and content.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kbcross View Post
    I'm planning on dialing back for a bit to see if the things gamom mentioned (sucking on fists, wanting to nurse more) improve.
    Those are more often signs of teething, ear infection or growth spurt than lowered supply. With a little baby output is what you need to be checking. If it is coming out it has to have gone in in the first place.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I'm planning on dialing back for a bit to see if the things gamom mentioned (sucking on fists, wanting to nurse more) improve.
    With great sadness I picked out a different kind of ice cream at the store today. Chocolate with a fudge cookie swirl! Hopefully it's good enough to distract me from missing the peppermint.

With great sadness I picked out a different kind of ice cream at the store today. Chocolate with a fudge cookie swirl! Hopefully it's good enough to distract me from missing the peppermint.
    Like PP I wouldn't deprive myself of the ice cream!! Just keep an eye on output, weight, etc. For me, the stuff I mentioned like sucking on fists, etc. is my baby's way of indicating my supply has dropped. It may not be yours. Your baby could be, as a pp said, teething, comforting, etc. and your supply still be good. I have a little 4.5 month old and a super sensitive demand/supply pair (lol) so what may affect me, won't necessarily affect you. The best thing is to monitor your baby and go with your instincts...pretty sure if your supply drops you will know it! I have to eliminate all dairy due to daughter's allergy, and trust me, you don't want to deprive yourself unnecessarily!! If you are really worried, at least have some without feeling guilty periodically. That way you get to splurge and have fun, but not add undue stress worrying about something that may not be a problem. Hope that makes sense. BTW, I can always tell a big difference in supply on the days I have oatmeal, but there are other ladies on here who don't...so see, we are all different in our responses!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Maybe you can counterbalance the peppermint by eating oatmeal cookies WITH your ice cream.
    Ok I have nothing productive to add whatsoever, but I LOVE how nursing can justify eating both cookies and ice cream at once They should put that on the bfing brochures.

I just put my two cents in because I hate to see moms depriving themselves unnecessarily in order to breastfeed. Life is tough enough! Peppermint ice cream is just the (tasty) tip of that particular iceburg, I see moms putting themselves on really harsh elimination diets for no good reason, and I find it frustrating sometimes!
    I completely agree that it's not worth prematurely eliminating foods without testing the effects on supply. I'm planning to take a few days' break from the ice cream, then start eating it again and see if the amount I can pump decreases consistently. (I love your comparison of comfort nursing to ice cream!! )

It breaks my heart when I pick him up to burp him, and he just gets SO upset and frantic, and obviously looking to suck more. Sometimes he can be comforted by patting and shushing; other times not. I've been interpreting this as hunger, but perhaps he just needs to comfort nurse as you suggested?

Also, any idea how much an average woman could expect to be able to pump if it's been three hours since the last feeding? I think I remember reading 1.5 oz per hour, but is that per breast or in total? I just got out the pump for the first time in more than a month, and have pumped about 4 oz total. (This is the evening so I might have less milk for that reason.) Of course the pump is not as efficient as baby, but at least I can measure what's coming out!

Thanks to all for your advice and sympathy; I am so thankful for online communities like this!

I usually get an average of 1.5 oz total per hour, not totally sure if that is what is normal or not. And I do get more in the morning and less in the evening.
    -Arin

Sealed for time and eternity to Chris on 08/26/10
    Mom to Ezra 06/24/11
    and Rebekah 12/27/13
    Proudly

"It breaks my heart when I pick him up to burp him, and he just gets SO upset and frantic, and obviously looking to suck more. Sometimes he can be comforted by patting and shushing; other times not. I've been interpreting this as hunger, but perhaps he just needs to comfort nurse as you suggested?

Also, any idea how much an average woman could expect to be able to pump if it's been three hours since the last feeding? I think I remember reading 1.5 oz per hour, but is that per breast or in total? I just got out the pump for the first time in more than a month, and have pumped about 4 oz total. (This is the evening so I might have less milk for that reason.) Of course the pump is not as efficient as baby, but at least I can measure what's coming out!

Thanks to all for your advice and sympathy; I am so thankful for online communities like this!
    Kellymom has a good article about pump output (just go to kellymom.com and search pumping-look for the article that has a section on what is NORMAL to pump. As I recall, she says .5 to 2 oz is 'normal' per session in this circumstance (mom nursing all day and then trying to pump.)
    Off thetop of my head, with no otehr info, I would say yes, baby needs/wants to nurse more. This does NOT meaqn you have low supply. At all. There is nothing wrong with so-called 'comfort' nursing. On the contrary, it is normal and needed.
    Why are you pumping, how old is your baby, and how frequently does baby nurse? Also, why are you ending feedings if baby wants more? It is normal for baby to nurse for a time, burp or take a quick nap or take a break, and then want to nurse again for a while. You cannot overfeed a nursing baby. If nursing is uncomfortable for you, leading you to limit feedings, that needs addressing-nursing can be fun and comfortable for mom.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; November 20th, 2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags

Why are you pumping, how old is your baby, and how frequently does baby nurse?
    I'm pumping to build a freezer stash for when I go back to work in January (boo). My baby is 10 1/2 weeks and nurses about every 2.5 hours during the day and once or twice during the night.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg
    Also, why are you ending feedings if baby wants more? It is normal for baby to nurse for a time, burp or take a quick nap or take a break, and then want to nurse again for a while. You cannot overfeed a nursing baby.
    After he nurses the first side, I pick him up to burp him, and he usually fusses and won't burp. So I put him to the other side and he eats more; when he comes off I try to burp him again and sometimes he still cries. At this point I try to comfort him with patting and shushing, and most of the time he calms down after a bit. If not, back to the first side.

I've been assuming that a side is "done" if he comes off on his own, unless it's been just a few minutes. Sometimes he's fallen asleep by this point. I can't always tell if he's swallowing or just comfort sucking.

I had a slight oversupply in the beginning so he used to only eat from one side per feeding. By now my supply seems to be regulating (which feels weird, and leads to paranoia about my ice cream choices!) so he now eats from both sides at most feedings. All this can take up to an hour which seems like quite a long time for a 2.5 month old.

I've been monitoring diaper output more closely and it still seems reasonable, though it's been harder to tell since he doesn't poop every day. I get him weighed regularly at a breastfeeding support group and his weight gain has been very good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg
    If nursing is uncomfortable for you, leading you to limit feedings, that needs addressing-nursing can be fun and comfortable for mom.
    Not uncomfortable at all -- just confusing.

Not unusual for your supply to be regulating now. You probably won't feel engorged like you may have in the beginning and you may not feel as full as you did in the beginning. This is normal adjustment for your milk supply and doesn't mean your supply is too low. Sounds like your body is just adapting to his needs. Try not too worry. Just keep watching things. Sounds like you're doing pretty well to me!!