Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Peppermint Ice Cream

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    97

    Default Peppermint Ice Cream

    I had heard that peppermint oil can hurt your supply, but didn't make the connection to the peppermint ice cream I had been enjoying until tonight when I read the ingredient list! I've been eating a bowl almost every night -- is there enough peppermint oil in ice cream that I should cut back?

    (I can't tell if my supply has decreased -- going to research how to figure that out next!)

    Thanks!
    Karin

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    216

    Default Re: Peppermint Ice Cream

    Can't really answer that, so hopefully someone else will chime in soon. I did notice after eating a rather large concession stand box of Junior Mints (like the size they sell at the movies), my supply took a plunge, but like I said it was a large box over two days. Not sure how much would actually be in the peppermint ice cream (man that sounds good about now!) Wouldn't stress too much about what you've already eaten. Just may want to avoid eating it every day just to be on the safe side.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: Peppermint Ice Cream

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gamom View Post
    Just may want to avoid eating it every day just to be on the safe side.
    That's my plan but it's SO GOOD!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    216

    Default Re: Peppermint Ice Cream

    LOL...I know. Trust me, I know!! We only get it for a limited time out here around the holidays, and I won't be able to have it now for TWO reasons (possible lowering of supply and DD2 is allergic to dairy!) So eat just a little for me!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: Peppermint Ice Cream

    I doubt there's enough in it to do much since it's just little chunks of peppermint candy in mostly ice cream. If you see your supply drop though I would cut it out and nurse more frequently, eat oatmeal and brown rice to help increase.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: Peppermint Ice Cream

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gamom View Post
    LOL...I know. Trust me, I know!! We only get it for a limited time out here around the holidays, and I won't be able to have it now for TWO reasons (possible lowering of supply and DD2 is allergic to dairy!) So eat just a little for me!
    Oh no, that stinks! The things we do for our kids!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: Peppermint Ice Cream

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    I doubt there's enough in it to do much since it's just little chunks of peppermint candy in mostly ice cream. If you see your supply drop though I would cut it out and nurse more frequently, eat oatmeal and brown rice to help increase.
    I should clarify -- the ice cream itself is peppermint flavored, with sort of an oreo cookie swirl throughout, if it matters.

    Part of the problem is that I don't really know how to tell whether my supply has dropped. DS will always happily suck more at the boob but probably some of that is comfort sucking? He often cries when I pull him off, but generally seems satisfied after being comforted a bit.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    216

    Default Re: Peppermint Ice Cream

    Has his diaper output changed any? Does he seem to want to nurse more (crying, sucking fists, squirming to get back on?) Those are pretty good indicators for me if my supply has taken a dip. If output is normal and he seems content, I wouldn't stress myself too much. Still drooling over the thoughts of peppermint ice cream! Hahaha!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,473

    Default Re: Peppermint Ice Cream

    Well, I have no idea how much actual, real peppermint is in your ice cream, just for fun I would call the ice cream company customer service and ask if it's enough to reduce milk supply. I bet they don't get that question alot!

    Maybe you can counterbalance the peppermint by eating oatmeal cookies WITH your ice cream.
    Seriously, if these kind of things were commonly a big deal, who would nurse? I assume you have had normal supply up until this point? If you see TRUE signs of low supply, (what these are will depend on your baby's age) then it's probably smart to stop with the ice cream, although that may not even be the cause. Otherwise, enjoy.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: Peppermint Ice Cream

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLMeg View Post
    Seriously, if these kind of things were commonly a big deal, who would nurse? I assume you have had normal supply up until this point? If you see TRUE signs of low supply, (what these are will depend on your baby's age) then it's probably smart to stop with the ice cream, although that may not even be the cause. Otherwise, enjoy.
    I'm planning on dialing back for a bit to see if the things gamom mentioned (sucking on fists, wanting to nurse more) improve. Diaper output is still very good so it's probably not a major issue, but since I'll be going back to work soon I need to keep that supply up! Thanks for the advice!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •