Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain while nuring with 23 mo

Default Pain while nuring with 23 mo

So lately every time 23 mo DS nurses, I feel a sharp constant pain in my breast. The pain occurs only when he nurses. After looking at my breast, the area directly around the nipple is irritated and red. I have no other symptoms.

I can't get a OBGYN appt until Dec 1st. Should/can I go to the regular doctor? I feel like he won't know/care about the pain or know what to do to help it.

Any ideas of what you think it might be? I don't feel like it could be an infection. I don't think DS latch is shallow. What do you think!? Help!
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Default Re: Pain while nuring with 23 mo

sometimes their latch can change...I got like that when I was pg...any chance of that?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Physically impossible for me to be pregnant. You have to do something for that to happen, and I'm not doing that.
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

I'd guess either thrush or teething...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lavenda319 View Post
    Physically impossible for me to be pregnant. You have to do something for that to happen, and I'm not doing that.
    then what mommal said...sometimes teething makes their latch change to relieve pressure. Try making sure he latches on deep and is straight on and not hanging off or pulling. Have him relatch if you need to. I'd also do some lansinoh or look into apno
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I'd guess either thrush or teething...
    Possibly aggravated by hormones - do you have PMS? I actually had a very mild case of thrush when Joe was about 20 months. I'm prone to yeast infections. That's pretty unusual, but it happens. I used lotramin nonstop for a few weeks and it FINALLY got better (took forever to improve!). But also, it would go from mildly annoying to downright painful when I was PMS'ing. Other ladies feel that way when they're ovulating.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.