Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cracks versus gaping wound on nipple

Default Cracks versus gaping wound on nipple

So I have been nursing for 4 weeks now and I am still having nipple pain. I had a lc check my latch and all is good, but I am struggling with the pain upon latch and throughout the nursing session. I have had mastitis and took antibiotics to get rid of it. I have deep cracks and a gaping sore on one nipple ( inverted nipples). I am taking probiotics, I am using triple nipple cream, and I have used the shield when the pain is unbearable. What else can I do? Is it a bad latch that has caused the wound? I thought thrush (although no symptoms) but all doc would give me was the triple nipple cream. Any advice? I would love to nurse pain free.....
    Thanks!
    Christine

Ash 8/22/03 successfully breastfed 18 mos while working full time!
    Brant 10/18/2011 nursing and nursing and nursing.....

Default Re: Cracks versus gaping wound on nipple

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby, and on making it this far despite cracks and pain! Based on what you have posted, it's kind of difficult to say what has caused the cracks. On the one hand, the fact that you have pain upon latch-on and throughout the feeding, combined with inverted nipples suggests that a poor latch could easily be the cause of the cracks. On the other hand, antibiotics can contribute to a mom developing thrush, and if you have more than a single crack per nipple thrush is a likely cause. And, most confusing of all, you don't really need to choose between thrush and a poor latch: you can have both simultaneously.

Some questions for you:
    1. When your baby unlatches, is your nipple everted? And if so, what shape is it? Symmetrical, like a pencil eraser, or asymmetrical, like a brand-new lipstick?
    2. Do you notice any changes in the skin of your nipples, areolas, or breasts- things like increased redness, pinkness, shininess, white patches, dry or flaking skin?
    3. Do you currently have or have you recently had a vaginal yeast infection, or yeast infection of any other skin surface?
    4. Do you have a single large crack, or multiple slit-like cracks, or both?
    5. Have you ever been able to nurse pain-free? Or did the cracking and pain begin after a trouble-free period?
    6. Are you experiencing any itching or burning sensations in the nipple or breast?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

1. Nipple everts an is symmetrical on the more wounded side. On less damaged side it is slightly asymmetrical but that side doesn't Hirt after initial latch
    2. Nipples are pink but have noticed no change in nipple color in last four weeks
    3. No other yeast infections
    4.I have multiple cracks. Slit like.... One larger slit has evolved into a a wound looking like a chunk of skin is missing. They have pretty much been there since week 2 but have increasingly gotten worse. Things used to be pain free after initial latch. Now that is not the case.
    6. In the last week I have experienced a burning sensation after nursing. My breasts are very sensitive and let down is painful tingly where it used to just be slight tingly. ( this is when I called doc telling her I thought I had thrush. She said maybe overgrowth if yeast and gave triple nipple - which has helped aignificantly.)
    I want the cracks and wound to go away and stop hurting.....now I can't figure out if maybe latch is not deep enough or it is just pain from existing wounds.
    Thank for feedback
    Christine

Oh, and if it does sound like yeast overgrowth, is there anything else I can do to assist in solving the issue. My suspicion is thy I have both yeast overgrowth and shallow latch. And now excess pain due to wounds.
    Christine

Thanks for answering those questions! Your replies make me think that thrush is very likely to be at least part of what is troubling you. Multiple, slit- like cracks and a burning sensation, plus an onset of pain 2 weeks after you started nursing... Those are very thrush-y. I'm not a big thrush expert or anything but here are ome things that seem to have helped others:
    - treat both mom and baby with an anti fungal med
    - keep breasts and nipples dry
    - practice extremely careful hygiene- including washing all bras, shirts, towels on hot
    - take probiotics
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Awesome! Doing all those things. This too shall pass.....
    I appreciate your help!!
    Christine