Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: which one out of the two?

Default Re: which one out of the two?

I don't know where you can get one as I have never had to have one. I only worked part time and didn't need to use one. Someone will chime in here and give you an answer soon.
    About your last post, I really think you sound like you have post partum depression. It happens to lots of women. It can be mild or severe. It can happen to women who tried to have a child and women who didn't want their child. To women who are young mothers and older mothers. It can happen to any mother.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    I don't know where you can get one as I have never had to have one. I only worked part time and didn't need to use one. Someone will chime in here and give you an answer soon.
    About your last post, I really think you sound like you have post partum depression. It happens to lots of women. It can be mild or severe. It can happen to women who tried to have a child and women who didn't want their child. To women who are young mothers and older mothers. It can happen to any mother.
    Shall I try and latch him on tonight? I just know if he doesn't latch on or stresses and cries, it makes me feel bad and I end up crying and stressing Will it affect his ability to take bottle if I try once. Will he get confused to take the bottle if he doesnt take my breast?

I would try often. Maybe after you give him a bottle and he is no longer hungry, just hold him next to your naked breast. That way it's as low stress as possible. No pressure for him to latch and he is already pretty content. Just so he can start to get reaquainted to it. Later, after he is used to the breast, if he doesn't attempt to latch on on his own you can try to get him to latch. I would just put him next to the naked breast after several feedings. Maybe just hold him there for the whole time between feedings or as long as you can.

Okay I will try this tomorrow day time.

Thanks for the support x

Hang out in bed with your tops off. Go in the bath together. Wear him in a sling or a wrap (topless). Basically keep him near your boobs. A few low key attempts to latch him here and there. but basically let him find his way there. pushing either or both of you will create stress and stress stops let down.

Talk to your health visitor or your GP about a hospital grade pump and about a PPD screening.

mama. I hated pumping and despite having too much milk for my second child found it difficult to pump enough for her during my work day on many occasions. My body and pumps just don't get along.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I think you need some professional hands-on help. I suspect you are in the UK. Here is a list for UK lactation consultants http://www.lcgb.org/consultants_local.html.

They can also help you find and get set up with a good pump if it comes to that. I know US prices around about $40-80 US depending on your location and length of rental.

However, I will say again I think you are shooting yourself in the foot by trying to pump and then nurse later. Babies who dont nurse lose their suckle reflex. It's very difficult to reteach a baby how to suckle.

I think you should try to breastfeed...and it WILL be harder now that he has had bottles. That frequently causes nipple confusion/preference.

Can that be overcome? YES YES YES. Yes, there may be tears on both sides, but it can be done and is far easier than pumping for a year. Right now, I just got home from work, I was too busy to pump more than once at work, but my baby is crying for me to pick him up I'd take a few days of crying over this, a situation that happens several times a day

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html this link might be VERY helpful to you
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I really really think you should get professional help too. I know the LLL meeting near you is out of town, have you called them? The leaders can come to your house and help you.

We know how this feels, at least I do. It tore my heart out when I couldn't get DD1 to latch. We would both cry too. I soooooooo wish I had called a LLL leader to come to my house. But, I was embarrassed, cause I couldn't do it myself, but now I have learned a lot of people need help. Also I was embarrassed cause my house was a mess. Well, the meeting place we meet at is messier then my house was! I was literally afraid the person who came to my house would call child protective services on me for a messy house! so I was scared. I am so upset at myself for not just having them come!

Instead I ended up pumping milk for 2 1/2 years! UHG. It seemed easier at first then three months came and my supply took a hit and I never could get it up again, 6 months came and supply took another hit and so on! It was HARD and frustrating. Since I have been able to get DD2 and DS to latch believe me I have learned this is so much easier then pumping. But, you NEED help! Please get some one to come help you.

You may or may not be experiencing post pardum depression, personally I don't think I experienced it, YET it made me VERY sad that I couldn't get DD1 to latch. I think it was something I wanted so much is why I was sad, I think it is normal to be sad about that. So I Don't think that was depression. However, you may be experiencing it, but I don't for sure think that would be the only reason to think that you have it if, just because you are sad that breastfeeding wasn't working. Cause I think that is a normal feeling to have when it's not working and you don't know what to do to make it work. But, I don't know what other symptoms you may have so like I said you might or might not have it. I personally would look more into getting help with breastfeeding right, and getting his tongue clipped cause I bet it needs clipped! And if all that works out and you are still depressed then I would look into help for depression. But, from what you are saying you are only depressed when trying to BF or pump. I really would wander if you aren't just having normal hormonal things during that, instead of DMER, but again I wouldn't know. I do know out of all my babies this last time I did cry sometimes while feeding, and I think it was just the normal release of hormones during those first few days/weeks and nothing major. It also though wasn't every feeding, or every day, just once in a while.

Any way, I just can't stress enough how I think if you got a LLL leader to come help you you would be so much better off.

Also since he is making a clicking sound get a nipple shield and try with it till you can get with a LLL leader, that should help.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~