Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: which one out of the two?

Default Re: which one out of the two?

Mama, I hate to sound like a broken record, but now is your chance to nurse. NOW. It is NOT going to get easier than it is today. Babies who get bottles forget how to latch onto the breast and lose their willingness to do so. It is unusual for a baby to go back to the breast after weeks or months off, and if it happens it usually means the mama has put in a lot of work to make it happen. You're not likely to want to put in that time and effort after your move, amid the craziness of boxes and setting up in a new place. And when things are crazy, you're likely to skip pumping sessions as well, and that's a ticket to low supply. You already posted a thread asking how you can get mre milk, and the answer never changes. Nurse the baby. Pump more. Use a better pump. Those are all time-intensive things.

Look, we get it. We've all nursed newborns and many of us have struggled with it. There are mamas here who have nursed with postpartum depression. With painful medical conditions. With anxiety disorders. With financial problems. With their other children underfoot. With sick babies. We understand why pumping seems like the easy way out right now. Nursing a newborn is not easy, but it gets easier. Pumping will never get easier. Only harder.

When my first baby was a newborn, I did several days of exclusive pumping while I was trying to heal badly cracked nipples. And I realized at that time that breastfeeding didn't have to be all or nothing. It was possible to combine breast and bottle. So I would EP during the day and nurse at night, and because my baby got practice at the breast and therefore maintained her ability to latch, eventually I was able to transition back to nursing full time. So, would you consider just trying to put the baby to the breast a few times a day? No pressure. If it works and he takes, it, great. If not, maybe you try again a little later.

Mama, make the investment of time and energy NOW. Today is your day!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I asked before. Do you not want to nurse because of DMER?

I travel about a hour each way to my LLL meeting. But, it is worth every minute! Ours meets twice a month and I try not to miss one. You would get so much help there. I did a cross country move last year with my DD2, and I know how that can be. It was crazy, but that's when I started going to LLL and they helped me tremendously!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I have an Ameda professional grade pump. It worked very well during the first several months while I had an oversupply, but once my supply evened out pumping became fairly difficult with it. I only need to pump a couple days a week due to work, so it's good enough, but I definitely would not want to EP with that pump. Even pumping just two days a week, I'm on the verge of smashing the thing into a thousand pieces! A hospital grade pump will serve you better in the long run, but I'm sure it will be nice to have a smaller, more portable pump in addition to a hospital grade pump.

I do need to agree with everyone else that it is worth it to give nursing an honest go. It was horrible for me too in the beginning. I would dread the next feeding as soon as I finished the last. However, nursing got so much easier and pumping became much more difficult. Now I dread each and every time my baby is away from me and I have to pump for him! I do it because I know he needs my milk, but I truly hate it.

Good luck with whatever route you choose to take!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    I asked before. Do you not want to nurse because of DMER?
    No it's not that. DMER is there when I pump as well as bf

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ishah2124 View Post
    No it's not that. DMER is there when I pump as well as bf
    So why don't you want to pump? I am not being a smart arse I really want to know. So many of us here have pumped and breastfed. And so many of us had hideous starts while breastfeeding. And we all to a woman say breastfeeding is easier in the long run. So while there are good reasons for pumping (having to be away from your baby, special needs babies, some women who have experienced sexual abuse etc we tend to not understand someone trying to take a route so hard that most people who try fail at it. Especially when we know right from the tap just gets easier and easier.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    So why don't you want to pump? I am not being a smart arse I really want to know. So many of us here have pumped and breastfed. And so many of us had hideous starts while breastfeeding. And we all to a woman say breastfeeding is easier in the long run. So while there are good reasons for pumping (having to be away from your baby, special needs babies, some women who have experienced sexual abuse etc we tend to not understand someone trying to take a route so hard that most people who try fail at it. Especially when we know right from the tap just gets easier and easier.
    I can admit now that I find pumping hard, I don't know why but when it comes to bf I just don't want to do it. It MOST PROBABLY is the experience iv'e had with it (It's not like I didn't try, my first choice was breastfeeding I never THOUGHT about pumping, I tried and tried and it left us both in a state so I stopped)

This obviously left him a very confused baby and is still halfway in trying to get useto the bottle, so I thought, okay well, i'll give him bottle for a bit (a couple of months or so) and then try and bf. and YES I know it may not work out. If it works out then that's great, if not then i'll just carry on I suppose but hopefully it will

But we are ALL saying, because we KNOW, that when that time comes for you, when you want to transition him back, you will probably not be able to. AND that if you do not get a HOSPITAL GRADE pump you will run out of milk. You will not have enough for him. He deserves your milk. He doesn't get to choose. He is helpless, needs you to give him what's best. Needs you to figure his out. Your breasts are making milk. He has no issues. Really there is no excuse to not breastfeed or get a better pump and pump like a mad woman to get a large enough supply and freezer stash to sustain you through he growth spurts he will have and issues you will have responding to the pump later in his first year.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    But we are ALL saying, because we KNOW, that when that time comes for you, when you want to transition him back, you will probably not be able to. AND that if you do not get a HOSPITAL GRADE pump you will run out of milk. You will not have enough for him. He deserves your milk. He doesn't get to choose. He is helpless, needs you to give him what's best. Needs you to figure his out. Your breasts are making milk. He has no issues. Really there is no excuse to not breastfeed or get a better pump and pump like a mad woman to get a large enough supply and freezer stash to sustain you through he growth spurts he will have and issues you will have responding to the pump later in his first year.

How much are hospital grade pumps and where can I get one from then?

I don't know why iv'e turned like this I useto try and BF but gave up. I really want to try again but it's almost like...I'm scared to even try now.
    So they people who bf.. and pump the remaining milk once the baby has not emptied your breasts, they put it in the freezer...then would that mean they are using bottles at the same time at some feeding sessions? I mean I don't work and always at home with my baby.