Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: which one out of the two?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: which one out of the two?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    how much experience do you have pumping mama? have you pumped long term for another baby? just hoping we can add some insite on long term effects and supply issues. We want you to be successful in this
    This was my first babyyyy.

    Yeah I understand Ive only been pumping since he's been born..

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: which one out of the two?

    I wish I had had the chance to answer this before you ordered!!!! I EP'd for DD because she never would latch (tongue-tie, hooked on bottle before I could get it clipped, new mommy not experienced enough to know what to do to get her on the breast after that). By 4 months, I just couldn't keep up with her!!! I started out using the Ameda and it just doesn't do well enough!!!!! Sorry!!! I moved to the PISA, then to a hospital grade and really believe if I had started with one of those I could have kept up longer with her! EPing is HARD WORK and no matter how much I tried (trust me, I TRIED!!!!) I could not keep up with her supply! Best of luck to you but I'd really reconsider what pump you're using! Seems like once your supply tanks it's VERY hard, if not impossible, to get it back when you're EPing!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,440

    Default Re: which one out of the two?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2pandt View Post
    I wish I had had the chance to answer this before you ordered!!!! I EP'd for DD because she never would latch (tongue-tie, hooked on bottle before I could get it clipped, new mommy not experienced enough to know what to do to get her on the breast after that). By 4 months, I just couldn't keep up with her!!! I started out using the Ameda and it just doesn't do well enough!!!!! Sorry!!! I moved to the PISA, then to a hospital grade and really believe if I had started with one of those I could have kept up longer with her! EPing is HARD WORK and no matter how much I tried (trust me, I TRIED!!!!) I could not keep up with her supply! Best of luck to you but I'd really reconsider what pump you're using! Seems like once your supply tanks it's VERY hard, if not impossible, to get it back when you're EPing!
    I cannot tell you how many times I have heard this from other cleft moms and other moms who have been EPing.

    They try to take the cheap route and buy a professional grade pump: Laninsoh, PISA, Freestyle. You are the first one I've heard say she was going to try with a Tommee Tippee. And it rarely, if ever works.

    Yes, it works at the start, when you have a natural oversupply. But...that doesn't last long. 3 months if you are lucky. But you maximize your supply potential by pumping with a hospital grade pump every 2-3 hours around the clock for that first 3 months. This makes hormone receptors, which is necessary so you can keep up when your baby needs more milk, which will happen at 3months, 6 months and 9 months.

    Gosh, I don't know what else to say to you I have been down the road you are deciding to take. I am offering you a map. Other moms who have done it are trying to help you too. Is it a case of misunderstanding? Money? How can we help you?

    I wish I understood.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South River, NJ
    Posts
    70

    Default Re: which one out of the two?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ishah2124 View Post
    The thing is..


    Iv'e already ordered it from amazon!


    I checked A LOT of reviews online and they were all fine and happy so I got it.
    I use this pump every day & have no issue with it, however my son does not have a cleft
    Mommy to Christopher 02/26/11 my miracle baby


  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,467

    Default Re: which one out of the two?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*charadawn View Post
    I use this pump every day & have no issue with it, however my son does not have a cleft
    Yes but are you exclusively pumping with it?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

    Watch Your Language

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In Peace
    Posts
    2,923

    Default Re: which one out of the two?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*charadawn View Post
    I use this pump every day & have no issue with it, however my son does not have a cleft
    How long have you been pumping with it?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    419

    Default Re: which one out of the two?

    BTW, exclusively pumping means, you do not breast feed at all, only use a pump. NOT that you only use this pump when you pump.

    You for sure need a GOOD pump for the first few months in three months either way your supply usually takes a hit when you EP. Even if you have great output all those months.

    But, I think you already know what you want to do and you already know every thing right? I mean I am not trying to be mean or rude, but it doesn't seem to matter what any one says, you know better.

    No one wants to see you fail, or anything every one is just trying to share the facts with you, but sometimes people just have to experience it to understand.

    ~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

    My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: which one out of the two?

    No.. Im not saying I know better at all!! I know what everyones advising me and I know I may not get the chance again if I dont start bf-ing now ... But again... I dont want to at the moment as I just get stressed and cant do it at the moment and I dont want to force myself. I tried for a week or 2 where breastfeeding was all I was doin .. and not one session was my son sattisfied with. It all left me in tears everytime, effectd my health and it left me in a state everytime, not that I didnt seek help, I did. All my midwife said was that I was doing it correctly and to carry on so I did but guess what I was still at the same spot. It stressed me and LO out a lot. I was trying to find a LC around here but failed to find one at all and I ended up with no one to help me. I dont want to go to breastfeeding cafes as I dont feel confident enough. Ide love to bf full time but at the moment he is fine on bottle..even that he makes weird clicking sounds with as ive confused him so much and I cant put him through it again right now as atm I dont think hes generally well anyway.
    Last edited by @llli*ishah2124; November 18th, 2011 at 02:05 AM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    419

    Default Re: which one out of the two?

    Is there a LLL group near you?

    I will tell you I was embarrassed I had to EP and I didn't go to LLL for a long time either, I was afraid I would be judged. I sooooo wish I had went with DD1, they can help you there! If you aren't confident they will help you!

    What the posters are saying about this pump is, most of those reviews you read are more then likely from mom's who only pump for work, or once in a while, but not exclusively pump. If you are going to exclusively pump and not put the baby to the breast you have to get a certain kind of pump and even then it's very difficult, and not assured you will be able to keep up the supply. But, you will have a better chance with the better pump. They/We want you to succeed.

    Maybe you could resell the pump you bought, and buy one of the better models for EPing.

    BTW, not all LCs/Midwives are the same, some are more educated then others with the clicking more then likely there is a tongue tie, some people are not educated on how that can effect breastfeeding, along with some people can not always diagnose a small one. I would highly suggest looking for a dentist or ears nose and throat dr to make sure he is not tongue tied and that is what is causing it. Like I said not every one is qualified to diagnose small tongue ties and they often are over looked, or passed off as not a problem. When in reality they can cause huge problems with breast feeding.

    ~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

    My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: which one out of the two?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*magnoliahoney View Post
    Is there a LLL group near you?

    I will tell you I was embarrassed I had to EP and I didn't go to LLL for a long time either, I was afraid I would be judged. I sooooo wish I had went with DD1, they can help you there! If you aren't confident they will help you!

    What the posters are saying about this pump is, most of those reviews you read are more then likely from mom's who only pump for work, or once in a while, but not exclusively pump. If you are going to exclusively pump and not put the baby to the breast you have to get a certain kind of pump and even then it's very difficult, and not assured you will be able to keep up the supply. But, you will have a better chance with the better pump. They/We want you to succeed.

    Maybe you could resell the pump you bought, and buy one of the better models for EPing.

    BTW, not all LCs/Midwives are the same, some are more educated then others with the clicking more then likely there is a tongue tie, some people are not educated on how that can effect breastfeeding, along with some people can not always diagnose a small one. I would highly suggest looking for a dentist or ears nose and throat dr to make sure he is not tongue tied and that is what is causing it. Like I said not every one is qualified to diagnose small tongue ties and they often are over looked, or passed off as not a problem. When in reality they can cause huge problems with breast feeding.
    I would have to go out of town for LLL. It's just Iv'e had such a bad experience I don't even want to think about it. I was determined to breastfeed it's not that..what if I go onto breastfeeding in a couple of months? Just we're moving out in a couple of weeks and thats going to be hectic, I get no sleep at nights and days are pretty much the same, I just dont want to face the challenge of bf right now

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •