Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Overweight" EBF baby???

Default Re: "Overweight" EBF baby???

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmanih View Post
    Also, if you say she's tall for her age, that should count for something. I wonder why your dr didn't take height into account too.
    That's an excellent point. My kids have both been at the top of the charts for weight and height, and my doc always says that it's great that they are proportional.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah, that's ridiculous advice. My son was almost 20 pounds at his six month appointment, and is now 10 months old and just a little over 21 lbs. Their weight does slow down when they get mobile. And he takes maybe 3 oz of water ALL DAY out of a sippy cup with solids.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Yay! Thank you all so much. I decided to call a lactation consultant at our local hospital - I told her how much Tess weighed and how tall she was and that she was EBF and the first thing out of her mouth was, "Congratulations! Good job, mama!" How refreshing! She basically said the same thing you all are saying - that it's crazy to give a water bottle to a nursing baby - maybe some in a sippy for practice, but it's not summer and she's clearly hydrated plenty - she also said when I do start to offer solids, I should go for whole grains, vegetables and meats! That's definitely different - my doc was all for rice cereal and bananas. Hmmm... I am sure that's a whole other topic. The salient point is that my girl will inevitably slim down. The LC also said she would forward some "recent and accurate" info on breastfed babies and weight gain to my doctor (who is at the same hospital). That made me really happy - the more we can educate doctors about breastfeeding (um, does NOT lead to obesity, #1!) the better! Thank you all, again. I am greatly relieved and validated. And my LO is happily nursing to sleep (and to ease her teething discomfort) as I type this!

Erin
    Mama to Emmaline, 4, who nursed until she was 3
    and Tess, 6 1/2 months, still EBF and going strong!

I'm glad you got some good validation, here and with the LC. I just want to chime in as another mom with a chubster who thinned out. My son at 6 months weighed than your daughter, but he was 98% in weight and 50% in height, a real butterball! By the time he was 1, he was proportional, and by the time he was 2, he had taken on the characteristics of my family, long and skinny. Keep doing what you're doing, and remain skeptical of advice that goes against your instincts.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*erinday79 View Post
    she also said when I do start to offer solids, I should go for whole grains, vegetables and meats! That's definitely different - my doc was all for rice cereal and bananas. Hmmm... I am sure that's a whole other topic.
    It's a topic we love talking about here! Check out the Introducing Solids sub forum and search for threads on baby-led solids. It doesn't have to be all cereal and bananas and spoon-feeding!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Cool! I'm very interested in BLW, so I think I'll try it. Yes, she's tall - I should have mentioned that she's nearly 29 inches and her head circumference is 17.5 inches, so she's pretty large all over! With my older daughter, I remember her being in the 100th percentile for weight, the 70th for height and the 25th for head size. LOL! This baby is more proportional! Oh, doctors. We're interviewing another pedi next month, so it'll be interesting to hear what he says. I hope it's just: "Good work, mom. What an abundant baby!"

Joe was about 23 lbs at 6 months, 28 lbs at a year and at 2.5 years, is only about 31 lbs. The weight gain REALLY slowed down. (Though he is still a big boy, he has fallen like 40 percentile points, from 98% down to 60%.) Like your baby, he was also really tall (that slowed down too, btw).

So if you do absolutely NOTHING different, chances are that your doctor will shut up about this in less than six months. Because breastfed babies often (though not always) tend to chunk up, then skinny out as they get mobile. It's textbook.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

The best recommendations for drs I have gotten was from other mom's in my LLL meeting.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Yes! "Joesmom" - that's so reassuring. I guess he is worried that if her weight continues to "spike" it could mean a hormonal imbalance? Seems like we'd be seeing other signs if that were the case - she's literally the happiest, healthiest most normal 6 month old ever! And really cute to boot. See for yourselves! CIMG7452.jpg

What a cutie!! Just perfect
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet