Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Overweight" EBF baby???

Default "Overweight" EBF baby???

Hi all - I'm new and looking for some support. My 6 1/2 month old baby girl, born at 8 lbs, 13 oz, is still exclusively breastfed, no bottles whatsoever, no solids yet, and she just had her 6 month appointment. I knew that she is chubby, but she weighed in at 25 lbs, 5 oz. today. Ok. To me that just says she's getting plenty of good mama milk. To my doctor, that meant she was "overweight." He said, "Well, it's time to start modifying her diet." WHAT?? Does that makes sense to anyone? We have a family history of big babies and she's also off the charts for height. He suggested I give her a water bottle. I have not introduced a bottle to her at all, not even of breastmilk, and I'm not about to start just for the sake of giving her something non-nutritive. He suggested I night wean (we co-sleep) and try not to comfort nurse her. AAAAAAHHHH! Is it just me or does this sound like horrible advice? She's not crawling yet, so I think when she does, she'll plateau in terms of weight. Honestly, can a breastfed baby be overfed or overweight?? She's brilliantly healthy otherwise. Her older sister was quite chubby at this age (20.5 lbs at 6 months) and then slimmed down once she was mobile. Now she's a super skinny 4 year old. I don't understand and was quite discouraged at the thought of trying to "rock the boat" in our wonderful nursing relationship. What do you all think? Thank you so much.

Default Re: "Overweight" EBF baby???

That IS horrible advice. Continue what you're doing mama!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Woah!! That IS a huge baby! I can't say anything about whether she's over weight, b/c I just don't know, but I know baby's usually start to thin out when they start moving around more. I don't think the advice from the doctor is good, but water isn't a bad idea at this age in theory. It doesn't have to be a bottle, my son is learning to use a sippy cup (mostly just spits it all over himself still).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mskalinin View Post
    Woah!! That IS a huge baby! I can't say anything about whether she's over weight, b/c I just don't know, but I know baby's usually start to thin out when they start moving around more. I don't think the advice from the doctor is good, but water isn't a bad idea at this age in theory. It doesn't have to be a bottle, my son is learning to use a sippy cup (mostly just spits it all over himself still).
    While water is okay, it's not necessary. You cannot overfeed a breastfed baby. A lot of mama's introduce water around this time but it's recommended that you limit it to 1-2 ounces over the course of the day. She will thin out when she starts moving/crawling/walking/running. I would not worry about it at all mama
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    That IS horrible advice. Continue what you're doing mama!
    Your LO will lean out once she gets mobile, and then you'll get congratulated on how well you "fixed" your baby's "problem". I would just ignore the doc on this one.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you, Jenn! I don't remember giving my older daughter water before introducing solids and even then, was told that BM meets their hydration needs perfectly for the first year. My doc was basically suggesting I supplement a feeding with water and that seems wrong to me. A baby diet?? For real?? I highly doubt that she will be 50 lbs by a year old... I hope not, anyway! My 4 year old is 39 lbs, so that would be funny!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*erinday79 View Post
    Thank you, Jenn! I don't remember giving my older daughter water before introducing solids and even then, was told that BM meets their hydration needs perfectly for the first year. My doc was basically suggesting I supplement a feeding with water and that seems wrong to me. A baby diet?? For real?? I highly doubt that she will be 50 lbs by a year old... I hope not, anyway! My 4 year old is 39 lbs, so that would be funny!
    You are absolutely right, BM meets their hydration needs perfectly. Using water in place of breastmilk is a bad idea. Their tummies are so small you don't want to fill it with a substance that has no nutrients or calories Enjoy the rolls now mama! Once she starts running around they will get smaller and smaller
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Also, if you say she's tall for her age, that should count for something. I wonder why your dr didn't take height into account too. If I were you I wouldn't give water to her just for this reason... Are you waiting before starting solids?
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

I agree with Jenn, that doc is giving bad advice. Replacing BM with water is not a good idea. Water in small amounts can be used for practice but that's really it. And also you're correct about leaning out. My DS1 was 24 lbs on his 6 month appointment and also super tall. Now he's a tall but average weight 4 year old, he basically gained no weight from 1-2.5 YO, he just used all that good stored fat
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Yay! Congratulations on your big ol baby! I have one too At 8 months she just overtook her 2 1/2 yr old brother in weight You got some great advice from the PP's My pedi did the same thing when I took my chubber in for her 6 month. She tried to suggest I drop some feedings and start rice cereal as a replacement. Um no. It's bad advice. Now that my girl is started to move around she's already redistributing her chub and her dipes are fitting better. I even got her into an 18 mos sleeper last night (she's in 24 mos clothes right now )!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together