Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Toddler and breastmilk

Default Toddler and breastmilk

Hi there. Ok so I have a new baby about 11 weeks old now and she is EBF. My first daughter is almost three and she was EBF until 13 months when she self weaned (Sad day!) And I continued to give her the stock of my milk I had left in the freezer for another 3 months. Well now that I am breastfeeding again I'd like to get her back on my milk even just a bit. I tried giving her some just in a cup and she drank a few mouthfuls and said it was good but hasn't wanted any since then. Should I push it? I just love the benefits of breastmilk and I have an overabundance of it and I hate to waste it. Any advice is great!

Default Re: Toddler and breastmilk

I don't really have any advice regarding getting your toddler to drink the breastmilk. However, if you have a lot of extra - you could always donate it. I suggest Eats on Feets, which you can find on Facebook.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovemygirlso1 View Post
    Hi there. Ok so I have a new baby about 11 weeks old now and she is EBF. My first daughter is almost three and she was EBF until 13 months when she self weaned (Sad day!) And I continued to give her the stock of my milk I had left in the freezer for another 3 months. Well now that I am breastfeeding again I'd like to get her back on my milk even just a bit. I tried giving her some just in a cup and she drank a few mouthfuls and said it was good but hasn't wanted any since then. Should I push it? I just love the benefits of breastmilk and I have an overabundance of it and I hate to waste it. Any advice is great!
    I gave all of my pumped milk to my toddler. My babies are just 12 months apart though, so if I put pumped milk in her cup she doesn't know the difference or she doesn't say anything if she does! you could just give her your milk in place of cow's milk and see what she says?
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

I second the idea to give your extra milk to a milk bank. They are in desperate need.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

An over abundance of milk can be a blessing to another baby too! Eats on Feets is a great place to find a baby in need. It sounds like your little girl is open to the idea of having some in a cup here and there too. *I* wouldn't push her. Can you pump a little fresh for her and then if she doesn't drink it, you can freeze it to donate? That way you are not freezing and then thawing for your older daughter and then it's wasted if she chooses not to drink it kwim?
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

i do give anything left over to my 2 year old son. he loves it. i just give it to him in his cup and down it goes. he is not very verbose so he cannot tell me if he can taste the difference but he has no problem drinking it. (he also joined our family via adoption so i didn't have a chance to bf him, i am thrilled that i can now give him mama's milk!)
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sk1718 View Post
    i do give anything left over to my 2 year old son. he loves it. i just give it to him in his cup and down it goes. he is not very verbose so he cannot tell me if he can taste the difference but he has no problem drinking it. (he also joined our family via adoption so i didn't have a chance to bf him, i am thrilled that i can now give him mama's milk!)
    this is mostly why I chose to pump for my daughter. I was not able to nurse her, and in this small way, I feel I am making it up to her....
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

I would absolutely LOVE to donate my milk but unfortunately I am on a small dose of Zoloft daily and was told that as they concentrate the milk for premature infants most of the time that the levels of medicine in the milk have unknown effects. But the good news is my sister in law just had twins and is supplementing with formula, she is in Canada and I am in Utah but my parents are going to visit her this month and we found that they can actually fly with the Breastmilk so I am sending over 300 ounces to her! Yay!

Oh that's great! Milk sharing is a special thing. What a wonderful gift for your sister and her sweet babies
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together