Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: plateaued growth in a 7 month old

Default plateaued growth in a 7 month old

Hello,

My LO is 7.5 mon old. At her 6 mon appt, she dropped down to between the 10th and 25th percentile from about the 35th percentile and prior to that she was at the 50th percentile. We went in today for a weight check (I requested it since we were going in anyway for her flu shot) and she had only gained a little bit of weight and is now at the 5th percentile. So her weight gain has plateaued. The pediatrician did not seem extremely concerned at this point and said that it's ok because she is active. She wants to wait and see what happens at her 9 month check up which is 8 weeks away!

Do you think I should be concerned? I feel concerned. My husband and I are also very slim people. She did grow 1.25 in. So I get that I'm probably not going to have a huge baby, but it just seems concerning that her growth is slowing so much. She isn't crawling yet but loves to jump when we hold her upright or in her jumperoo. Loves to roll around and is starting to pivot on her belly. She is not doing so great in the solids department kind of hit and miss depending on the day.

I should also mention that she had a period of about 3-4 weeks where she did not eat well from a bottle (while I was at work) and solids. She seems to be getting back on track right now. She's still having 5 wet diapers a day although not all soaking, but the pediatrician tells me they don't all have to be soaking. She poops normally.

I think that's all the info...sorry it is so long. I'm just not sure where to go from here. I'm considering just bottle feeding her EBM...perhaps she just not getting enough from the breast? The last few days, she's actually asked for the breast (via rooting) which I haven't seen her do in forever (I know this usually goes away early).

What do you gals think?

Default Re: plateaued growth in a 7 month old

I think I hear your story from breastfeeding moms more than staying on the same track. My son was in the 90% at 4 months and is now below the charts. Look at your daughter. Does she look healthy? Is she happy and satisfied? Active and alert? Those should be more of your indicators over some chart created for formula babies. She's growing, that's what's important. But I know. It's so hard not to worry.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

First EPumping is NO fun and the older she gets the harder it will be, Im sure the mommas on here who do EP will chime in on that
    Second your DD is at the age where the calories shes taking in are being used to fuel her new found moving/rolling-over/jumping ect and less is being just packed in weight so its TOTALLY normal to see little or even no weight gain at this age (mine barly gained for a month). It sounds like her diaper out-put is good as well as her development.
    Third yes some LOs are just smaller (just like people) and come in all shapes and sizes. Like you & yoyr DH
    Fourth you may find the more bottles she has the LESS she will want to BF, its WAY easier to get the milk from a bottle than the breast.

Hope it all works out for you. Your doing great! Like your DD its all about learning as we go

jenn
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

It's entirely normal for a breastfed baby's growth to slow after the 6 month mark. It's why the charts for breastfed babies and formula-fed babies look so different: in the second half of the first year, formula-fed babies tend to gain relatively more weight than their breastfed peers. Plot a breastfed baby's weight on a formula chart, and the breastfed baby seems to be dropping percentiles very quickly.

If you and your DH are slim people, then it's probably just your baby's nature to be slender. Switching her to expressed milk via bottle is unlikely to help her gain weight. But there are some things you can try that sometimes increase weight gain:
    - sleep in close proximity to or in the same bed with the baby- sometimes babies who sleep next to mom wake a little more often and take in lots of calories from mom's all-nite breastaurant
    - focus on offering high-calorie solids like whole milk yogurt, avocado, beans, meat, and cheese
    - add a drizzle of olive oil to low-cal solids like veggies
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Don't EP. And honestly, I don't think EPing as as good for their weight as direct breastfeeding! And it sure isn't good for long term health; there are studies that show that babies fed via a bottle do NOT learn satiety as well as ones who are breastfed, and that has implications for overeating and obesity. So just nurse. All of my kids --even the one I EP for -- haven't gained much after 6 months. One even lost weight and fell off the charts. But they were all normal developmentally, and they have lean parents. So it's just another variant of normal.

Just don't EP. Try a nursing necklace. Nurse on demand. Cosleep and nurse during the night. This is a phase. Many babies seem to lose a little interest in eating about the time they are reaching a new milestone, like moving, teething, whatever. But just push on, and the interest will come back.

Besides, to EP now would be silly. You'd have to rent a hospital grade pump. You'd have to buy more stuff. And you'll be able to pump wean and just nurse when baby is around 12 months. Just work on what you've got.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you all for your replies. I'm definitely not keen on the idea of EPing but I want to do what's best for my baby. The other detail that I did not mention is that I am not able to keep up with what she takes while I'm away at work. She takes anywhere from 4-5 oz, 3 times while I'm at work. Also, an extra 1 oz to mix in with oatmeal or other baby food. I used to be able to pump 4 oz in the morning about 30-40 min after she ate before I went to work...now I'm only getting about 2 oz. Does this mean my supply is decreasing and infact she isn't getting enough from me? I'm going through my frozen supply pretty quick and it'll probably be gone by next week. I just cannot pump extra at work and if her last feed is early enough at night I will try to pump before I go to bed, but my sleep is also important especially since I need to function properly at work. So I'm torn between what to do...

Well, right off the bat I would drop the ounce to mix with food. It's not necessary and one more ounce to worry about. Second, would pump for longer and perhaps more often. Adding in just one session a day can make a world of a difference. Third, if you feel as though you are not pumping enough, why would you consider EPing? She is far more efficient than the pump. Get her on the breast as often as possible when you are not at work.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn