Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is this just the way it always will be?

Default is this just the way it always will be?

My lo is 7 months old and feeding on demand. That's usually 1-3 hours during the day and 2-5 at night. That being said, every time she seems satisfied and does closer to 2.5-3 hours apart my supply seems to drop. She is not satisfied:, fusses and arches her back. Wants to eat every hour or more often... I know it could be a growth spurt but its like this a lot..... I pump at least once a day to keep up supply when she goes to bed and sometimes after feedings. I just feel so bad because she is suffering. Also does not usually take a bottle from me. She took an oz today because she was just wining and fussing. Not sure what to do too keep my supply up. Figured it would have evened out by now. Diapers are ok like 6 or so a day.
    Any input? Thnks for reading

Default Re: is this just the way it always will

Different women have different "storage capacity." So while some women can go 3 hours between feedings, others have to nurse more frequently to keep their supply up. I would continue to feed on demand. At this age, babies get distracted easily and sometimes forget to eat. It might not be that your supply has "dropped" so much that your baby has gone a long time, and empties you out more quickly. It can be a struggle to keep an active, mobile baby nursing frequently, but I would try to offer the the breast before the 3 hour mark, if that's what's working best for you both.

Will it be like this always? Absolutely not! For one thing, she'll start taking in more solids soon, and milk consumption often goes down slightly towards the end of the first year. So it's likely to get easier pretty soon, really. By a year, your baby can nurse for comfort and fun, and a little nutrition here and there, but slowly but surely, it won't be her PRIMARY source of nutrition, and your supply won't matter so much.

I wouldn't worry so much about your supply, per se. It sounds like everything is going really well. But if nursing a little more frequently keeps your baby happier, I would do that, remembering that things are going to change up a LOT in the next few months.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

agree with the pp, especially about nursing more often if that makes baby happier. it could definitely be a growth spurt! and in that case the increased fussiness should be temporary (until something like teething upsets her)...

just watch the cues since sometimes the baby is so distracted by the world that she forgets to ask in the usual way after a few hours and just gets cranky and fussy.

everyone around me kept suggesting (i assume based on formula feeding guidelines) that she should be going longer and longer and longer as she got older in terms of how much time to space her nursings. of course now she can go much longer stretches b/c we have solids and she is way past a year old, but back then, she could not and would not, and would just get miserable. i'd give it a few more months of on-demand and see how things go!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Thanks for the reply... I know I have a small "tank" so I always feed her often. Its just so time consuming. I am either feeding or thinking about it. I don't mind it so much and I don't giver her a bottle unless she is eating every hour for like 3 in a row or so. Breaks my heart when she is flopping like a fish out of water and sucking and I don't.hear swallows. Wonder if af is on its way? Plus she is not patient and only comfort nurses at night.... Sometimes. Once she can't get much out she gives up. Plus she is small, 14lb 7 oz at 6 months We almost never get to 3 hours only if we are out and about. Two is ok with me but every hour is exhausting. Guess I just need to vent.