Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A New Kind of Green

Default A New Kind of Green

Is anyone else in need of a laugh as they try to get a new baby into a schedule or somewhat happy about life post-uterus?

This morning, my DD and I were trying to get some clothes folded, the dishwasher emptied, and some breakfast for us, as we took turns holding LO. He wants to be held all the time.

The tv was on with a tape of GMA and we couldn't hear each other very well.

I commented that she couldn't even eat breakfast while she pumped because she has to hold the cups to her breasts with both hands. She replied that there were bras that did that. I mis-heard her to have said there were frogs who did that. I was so suprised, I asked her several times, but still heard frogs rather than bras.

It was so funny to picture a conscientious Kermit firmly holding the cups to DD bosoms.

Default Re: A New Kind of Green

Funny. But, it is quite common for newborn babies to want to be held all the time. They were held 24 hours a day before they were born and continue to need that contact with their moms after they are born.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Funny. But, it is quite common for newborn babies to want to be held all the time. They were held 24 hours a day before they were born and continue to need that contact with their moms after they are born.
    Heck my 19yo has a fit when Im not close enough to her! Anyway ALL 3 of my boys *had* to be held ALOT. My DS (9mo) crys if he cant see mee even when DH is holding him
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

That helps to know! It's been 30+ years since I had a newborn. We've been trying to find ways to help him be happy besides being held.

funny!

try babywearing! makes life doable!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

You do dishes. Mom hold baby and nurses, not pumps. It keeps baby happy, her supply will be better and she can rest

Then baby wear. And then she can do the dishes and the laundry and mop the floor when her temporary maid has to go home.

If she is bound and determined to pump -- why anyone who doesn't have to pump to feed a baby would want to instead of nursing a cuddly baby is beyond me -- got get her a Simple Wishes bra. They are sold online. Some IBCLCs sell them. Target also carries them. The size is very adjustable; I'm a 38 C/D and fit in a Sm/M and a L.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'm sorry, but I have to ask this. You seem to have a problem with the fact that you grandson wants to be held all the time. Is it YOUR problem? Or is your daughter having a hard time too? She shouldn't be bothering with pumping at this point, unless she's trying to get a stash together to go back to work in a couple weeks. Also, she could nurse him on one side and pump on the other side with a small newborn like that.

I spent the first 12 or so weeks with my first daughter on the couch. I didn't have my mom there to help me, but my husband made dinner (and still does - men can help too you know!) and got my lunches ready for me. My second daughter didn't need to nurse as much as my first, but she also spent about the first six weeks of her life sleeping while being held - either by me, my husband or grandparents that were more than happy to hold my sleeping newborn while I played with my toddler.

You guys could read the book "Happiest Baby on the Block" by Harvey Karp, or I believe there is even a DVD too that you could watch instead. It has some good tips on getting babies to sleep.

Perhaps a frog for each cup! Lol

It's not so much that LO wants to be held all the time. After all, there are two of us and we can do that and still get food prepared, etc. It's that he's still not happy, pretty fussy. His 'good times' (an hour or so in the a.m.) are such a delight, wide eyes looking all around. But much of the day he is very fussy. We think gas. The dr. thinks acid reflux, as he also spits quite a lot. I posted on 'BOOPS' about this problem.

And, yes, she is pumping in order to go back to work. Since he was 3 weeks, 4 days premature, although a good weight at 5 lbs. 15 oz., she was given 8 weeks maternity leave. She goes back to work this Monday and I will be giving him a morning bottle of breastmilk and an afternoon bottle of breastmilk. We plan for me to drive him to her to nurse 'in person' on her lunch half hour. She plans to pump on her breaks at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.

I do worry more about what might be a problem than my daughter does. It's been 34 years since I had a newborn/young baby. I just don't remember them fussing this much at this age. More naps and happy times.

Every baby is totally different. Of my four, I've had the range from a baby who cried if he was awake -- which was all the time -- for sme months to a baby who never cried, even to eat and even with acid reflux.

Feeding him when she goes back to work seems like a good plan as you have outlined.

Honestly, most babies are happier after 3 months
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!