Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastmilk not Sufficient?

Default Breastmilk not Sufficient?

Today my daughter had her 10 month check up. She weighed in at 17.1 lbs which was the same she weighed at her 8 month check up. She is very active (been walking since 7 months) and nurses STILL about every 2-3 hours and pretty much ALL night long. I give her solids which she enjoys but she mostly prefers breastmilk. Anyway the doctor said that she needs to be eating more solid foods now because my breastmilk isn't sufficient enough anymore. I thought that breastmilk (or formula) was supposed to be the main source for the first year or so? What type of foods should I be giving her to help gain weight? I can't imagine breastfeeding anymore than I already do. My plan was to breastfeed for a little over a year.

Default Re: Breastmilk not Sufficient?

This is a very common pattern with breastfed babies, that is, to slow down or even stop gaining weight after around 6 months. They are now diverting calories to their mobility, rather than to packing on more fat. I imagine you already realize this, but I think it's nice to get a reminder every once in a while. My MIL pestered me about DD's weight gain for months. (They weigh her on the WiiFit every time she goes over there, just to "be sure.") I've learned to just nod and smile.

What kinds of food does your LO eat now? I've done baby led solids with DD, who is 14 months, and there is no way she would get enough calories if she weren't also nursing. She's just not that into food, but she definitely gets enough calories to fuel her mobility and her growth. Focus on whole foods, and a good variety of them. It's important to have some good, fatty foods in the diet. If you will be weaning to cow's milk, it should be whole. It's important for me to remember that I shouldn't offer junk food just for the sake of getting DD to eat something. For me, it's more important at this point to learn to eat and love good food than to take in a whole bunch of food calories. Does that make sense?
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

She loves fruits and veggies, a little bit of chicken and beef. She likes to hold her own food. My friend gave her shrimp the other day (which she isn't supposed to eat yet) and of course she LOVED it. I am glad you mentioned not giving her junk food because as soon as we got home I just wanted to load her up on junk food! I refrained, I just can't believe she didn't gain a single pound with as much as she nurses.

The advice on solids is so different from doctor to doctor! My pediatrician would tell you that until the first birthday, breastmilk meets all a baby's nutritional needs, and solids are just for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills, and that you shouldn't worry if your LO seems to eat only breastmilk and the occasional piece of dirt from the floor. She'd also tell you that it is entirely normal for breastfed babies to "lean out" as they get into the second half of the first year, and start devoting their calories to motion instead of packing them on as fat.

I honestly would not worry about your LO! She sounds perfectly normal, especially for a highly active baby. There's nothing wrong with being slender! In a couple of years, your doc will be complementing you on having such a fit, active, healthy child in the midst of the childhood obesity epidemic.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    The advice on solids is so different from doctor to doctor! My pediatrician would tell you that until the first birthday, breastmilk meets all a baby's nutritional needs, and solids are just for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills, and that you shouldn't worry if your LO seems to eat only breastmilk and the occasional piece of dirt from the floor. She'd also tell you that it is entirely normal for breastfed babies to "lean out" as they get into the second half of the first year, and start devoting their calories to motion instead of packing them on as fat.

I honestly would not worry about your LO! She sounds perfectly normal, especially for a highly active baby. There's nothing wrong with being slender! In a couple of years, your doc will be complementing you on having such a fit, active, healthy child in the midst of the childhood obesity epidemic.
    So very true! Our pedi commented that it was just fine my almost 9 year old son is only in the 9th percentile for weight (yeah I'm still a bit concerned, but I'm a mom! lol) because so many of the kids she sees are obese. I thought, well why did you people freak out so much when he was an infant??
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

This is one of those times where you just smile and nod. Your breast milk is enough and complete. Solid food is just for exploration for the first year. You'll go back for her year check up, she'll have put on weight and the doctor will then say "See? Putting her on more solid food worked." when in reality you just kept doing what you were doing in the first place. Neener Neener
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

bumping this thread just to say thank you! we just had out 10 month appt today and n gained half a pound in three months! she was just under 18 lbs at 7 months, and now she's about 18 1/2 lbs.

even though in my head i know she's reaching all her milestones, pees/poops are normal, and most importantly she's a very happy normal sweet little baby, i still couldn't help worrying on the way home from the doctor. i like her pediatrician a lot but could only go "mmm-hmmm, interesting" when she said that n should be having x amounts of tablespoons of food a day and how breastmilk is not enough for her anymore.

anyhow, we're doing blw, so i see no harm in encouraging more avocado (she likes it anyhow!), etc but i know that breastmilk is enough. baby girl just got 4 teeth in the last three months, plus she's cruising like crazy, she just started pointing at things, she grew over an inch in the past three months, and she's starting to vocalize a lot more - in other words, there's plenty of development going on! still, it always helps to check on this forum for reassurance.. thanks ladies!
    ♥♥♥♥ baby girl born 4-14-2011 ♥♥♥♥
    ♥♥♥♥ baby girl born 11-14-2013 ♥♥♥♥