Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Older toddler and drinking water

Default Older toddler and drinking water

I've always operated under the philosophy that babies and older babies know when they are hungry, thirsty, and when/what to eat (through baby-led weaning). So the same would be true of older toddlers, right? My 2.5-yo nurses through his naps and several times through the night, drinks broths from soups, eats apples and berries, and drinks water when his throat is dry or he has eaten something too salty. So he does not drink a lot of water, per se. But his pees are nice and light-colored and there's lots of it.

I read the Dr. Sears Portable Pediatrician book today and it says to make sure they get something like an ounce/lb of body weight a day of water. Really, should I really be pushing 3 glasses of water on DS on top of all that? Curious what other moms of 2-3 year olds do? (When do you push or encourage water?)

Thanks for any insight!
    Patty
    Mom to DS Pablo
    for 30 months and loving it!

Default Re: Older toddler and drinking water

As far as hydration needs, breast milk is considered the same as water, it's considered a clear liquid and hydrates just as well if not better then water. So there is no need for more water on top of breast milk.

I think the book assumes most babies in america (the audience the book is written for primarily) are no longer nursing by then, or at least not much. In addition to that new research has found that the old research when it said X amount of ounces per time period, included liquid other then water, IE liquid from fruits, vegetables and so on is part all part of our daily liquid/water needs.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

oh and encouraging water? I give water as a first drink that is NOT breast milk. IE usually the first cups of drink my children get are water cups. After one year I also offer cups of milk. But, that's the only drinks my children get, water or milk. So usually at meal times is when we give water. IE I like to eat during a meal time after baby is over 1 year old. So that's when we put a cup of water at their high chair with their food. That way they can get a drink with out me having to nurse during the meal. Other then that though unless they ask for water/milk we don't really encourage or discourage it. It's just when ever, since that's the only drinks we give our children.

I also think before 3 or 5 I can't remember which, a child will not overeat/drink. So I wouldn't worry about it, as long as they have always been fed on demand (not starves, or deprived) they are pretty good at regulating themselves with out problems.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*magnoliahoney View Post
    So usually at meal times is when we give water....Other then that though unless they ask for water/milk we don't really encourage or discourage it. It's just when ever, since that's the only drinks we give our children.
    This is what we do too, though I haven't offered milk yet (since she still drinks a lot of bm). I also drink water during the day not at meals, and if she sees my water and asks for some, then I give it to her. But I don't offer continously during the day or anything, usually only during meals. She also doesn't use a sippy, just a cup, which baffles my friends with kids who use sippies and use them continuously on their outings.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

My 2 yr old doesn't drink that much water and sometimes I worry about her but she can ask for water whenever she wants it and nurses throughout the day. Her energy level is great so I am assuming she is doing fine.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

When Joe was nursing a lot, I didn't worry at all. I gave it to him when he asked. Now I do make sure he has a sippy of water available. (You can lead a toddler to water, but you can't make him drink, it turns out. ) He does sip at it through the day, and probably drinks a two or three cups a day, not including his other main fluid, milk.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I'd keep an eye on frequency & color of pee. As long as pee is light or clear kid is plenty hydrated.

Our kids have water freely accessible throughout the day and they can drink whenever they want. Straw cups at home. Water bottles on the go.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thank you all! I found your comments so helpful!

And Heather, Christine, your posts completely confirmed my gut feeling about this, especially about trusting the instincts of the cue-fed child. So thank you for posting ...
    Mom to DS Pablo
    for 30 months and loving it!