Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I doing too much??

Default Am I doing too much??

Is there a such thing as working out too much while BFing? I participate in a postpartum physical fitness program in the Army. We work out 3 to 4 days of the week. In addition, I do about 1 hr of cardio 3 to 4 times a week on my own time.

I was told that I need some fat to help with my milk production (sounds silly to me).

My question: Could working out too much or losing weight too fast effect my milk supply?
    The love of my life, Rogelio Federico aka Tre, was born on 22 July 2011.
    Active Duty Army Mom thats hates , but loves : and

Default Re: Am I doing too much??

Every woman will have a different threshold for what exactly is "too much".

That said, if you don't take in enough calories YES it can impact your supply. Before my son started solids any kind of dieting would really cause a supply dip for me. Now I am slowly losing weight and I hope it will be fine. (He's almost 10 months old). But another issue with losing more than 1.5- 2 lbs a week is that rapid fat loss can cause environmental toxins to be released into your milk. And honestly, losing weight too fast has health risks anyway, so I would do it slow and steady
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

OK! Thanks!! I do not think I am losing more than 2 lbs a week, however, I could stand to take in a few more calories.
    The love of my life, Rogelio Federico aka Tre, was born on 22 July 2011.
    Active Duty Army Mom thats hates , but loves : and

Also vigorous workouts will cause you to lose a lot of water. So make sure to drink drink drink, to replace it all, dehydration, even a little can cause low milk supply. Since you are exercising so much I would also make sure to not take in any diuretics-coffee, black teas, soda etc. As that will make you lose even more water, and have to drink even more to make up for it.

That said, you didn't mention, or at least I didn't see how far PP you are. You should be at least 6 weeks PP before starting a regamin like that, preferably 8 weeks.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~