Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting frustrated...any advice?

Default Re: Getting frustrated...any advice?

Jacksmom...I am sorry you have to go through the pain. I know how painful engorgement can be. I am BFing twins and still get engourged. Try concentrating on suggestions for the pain/engourgement and work on lowering your supply. It really doesn't take long to get where you need to be. Just think of all the benefits your precious one is getting and how wonderful of a mom you are for going through all this for him. Keep coming with the questions and we are all here for your encouragement and to help you through this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sMom View Post
    Thanks again for all this great advice!
    You're very welcome! I'm glad you're finding these boards a good source of information and support -- that's what we're here for!

To answer some questions -- my main reason why I went to pumping breastmilk was not only because of the mess - it was also because my lo was latching on beautifully but in a matter of minutes, he was drowning in bm and getting frustrated because it was coming out of his mouth and after he was done nursing, there was a lot of spit up and he was realllllly fussy.
    This is typical of the overactive letdown (OALD) that usually goes along with oversupply. As you correct the oversupply problem and as Jack gets older and more coordinated, these troubles will also be fixed.

What I've experienced so far with bottle feeding is that he still latches on well - I try to make sure he doesn't go for the easy way out and he rarely spits up and is ready to sleep after a feeding.
    I'm glad to hear that the bottles haven't caused any problems with Jack's latch -- but you should know that his willingness to switch back and forth at 12 days of age is not a guarantee that this will always be the case. Some babies do come to prefer a bottle and reject the breast even after lots of practice with both.

Pumping is more work, yes - but I try not to overpump - just pump what I need...I have a few storage bottles that I rotate (empty them into the bottle I'll use for feeding) so I know that I'm not overpumping.
    It's actually a little tricker than it looks to know for sure that you are not overpumping. This is because a baby will often drink from a bottle even when he is no longer hungry, well past the point at which he would have let go of the breast if he were nursing. The way that milk flows from an artificial nipple, every time the baby swallows, it causes more milk to come into his mouth, which again triggers a swallow, and so on. Basically, a baby allowed to breastfeed on cue (provided he is healthy and nursing well) will always eat just as much as he needs and no more, while using a bottle makes the process of supply and demand a bit less reliable and more complicated. Does that make sense?

I just don't know if I can handle this engorgement pain if I miss a feeding (or pumping) in the middle of the night. Which is why I'm thinking of switching to formula for my lo.
    I can tell that you are really suffering, and I'm sure the exhaustion at this point is making it all especially unbearable. What we are trying to assure you of is that while many mothers experience engorgement and pain at first, they normally aren't suffering that way during the whole course of a breastfeeding relationship. If you can take steps to correct the oversupply that is causing the engorgement, you will feel better, and probably very soon.

If you want to keep breastfeeding, these problems are completely fixable, and there are many, many mothers here who have gone through this and will help advise and encourage you.

I will also caution you that if you do decide to wean to formula, you will still have a lot of engorgement pain and leaking milk to get through before your body realizes it needs to stop making milk. There are safer and risker ways to go through that process (we don't want you to get mastitis if it can be avoided, for example), but you should understand that weaning to formula will not be a quick fix for the engorgement pain -- in fact, it is likely to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Let us know how we can help you, okay?

it sounds like you are having a huge oversupply issue. just one thing that worked for me, and i'm not telling you to pump unnessecerily, since i had been pumping to relieve pain and engorgement as well was i used the excess that i had pumped previously to skip a nursing session every other feeding. i did still have to pump some (like 2 oz vs 6-8oz previously) but the engorgement was much better after the first day. as far as the spraying/leaking we are still trying different things. one other tip that has been helpfull for me is wearing a sports bra with a tube top over it, i just found that with the extra support and pressure i was leaking less between feedings. hth