Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to not catch baby's stomach bug?

Default How to not catch baby's stomach bug?

After a pediatrician visit this morning for two vaccines, my 8 month old has vomited twice in the past three hours. No fever, but he's fussier than usual. He's asleep now, an hour after a feeding and that meal stayed down. At first we were afraid that it was a vaccine reaction, but the ped thinks it would have shown up earlier (the appt was at 8:45am). They suggested that it was the beginning of a bug. Boooo.

Thanks to you genius moms out there, I knew to ignore their recommendation of Pedialyte and keep BF in small amounts!

My question is this - how can my husband and I avoid catching this bug? He's leaving for an important work trip tomorrow, so it'll be just me and my LO for 5 days and I want to be healthy to be able to care for him if this is a bug.

I imagine that I've already got the same antibodies that my LO has at this point, thanks to the magic of BF. But would it be beneficial for my husband to drink some of my EBM? His immune system isn't the greatest and it would be great to keep him well.

Hopefully this isn't outside the purview of this forum.

Any other tips on how to keep my LO comfy while this passes are welcome too!

ETA: He ate some avocado this afternoon - second time tasting, first time swallowing. I wonder if this could be an allergic reaction rather than a bug? He had no reaction the first time, but it didn't get swallowed that time, either. (an hour and a half and he's still asleep peacefully.)
    Last edited by @llli*longtalltexan; November 15th, 2011 at 07:23 PM.

Default Re: How to not catch baby's stomach bug?

I'm sorry your LO has the pukies! I think you're right to wonder about both vaccine reaction and a possible reaction to solids- so I'd be cautious with that avocado. Maybe offer solids that baby has already done well with, just for now? And if this is a bug, stay alert for other changes in your baby's digestion- I know my kids always have the trots at the end of a tummy bug. It's like the virus works its way down through the digestive system.

Best way to avoid catching this, if it's a virus, is simple hand washing. Hot water, lots of soap, especially after diaper changes. Honestly, there's a good chance it's already too late. If you and your DH aren't squeamish about him having some breastmilk, I say go for it! It can't hurt and may help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, mommal! I think we might both be right - he's now nursed three times and slept for 4 hours without incident. I think my emetephobia might have made me latch on (so to speak) to the virus idea prematurely. (though I know we won't dodge it forever.) I will stick to known foods and keep an eye out for any other reactions. My mom mentioned that she remembers me and my sister throwing up occasionally after vaccinations, so maybe it's hereditary?

Emetophobia- awesome vocal word! I hope that your LO is all better. IDK if vaccine reactions are hereditary or not, but it certainly makes sense that they could be!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"