Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 month old baby does not poop at all

Unhappy 1 month old baby does not poop at all

Hi,

My baby is one month old now..She is EBF and her weight gain seems to be okay. She gives a lot of wet diapers (7 - 8). Until 3 weeks she used to poop 2 - 3 times. After that, she stopped pooping for a good 2 days. So after 2 days we stimulated her by using Qtip and that did work. She did poop a lot.

But again she stopped pooping. And we keep stimulating her using Qtip after 2 days and it did work. Its a little more than a week now and she poops only if we keep stimulating and does not poop on her own. One thing that we noticed is that she is very gassy. We give Mylicon for that. Although gassy, she does not poop.

I am very concerned.

Has anyone experienced this problem. Please share your ideas!

Thanks,
    Sunshine

Default Re: 1 month old baby does not poop at al

If her wet diaper output and weight gain is okay, I would just let her be as long as she isn't going more than a week without pooping. By 6 weeks some babies have decreased their poop frequency to just once every week or even less, and some babies reach this point a little earlier than others. 4 weeks isn't out of the range for this change in poop habits to occur. Breastmilk is very easy to digest, and is used very completely, leaving little waste to be excreted.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Alot of breastfed babies go a week or more without pooping and it is perfecty normal. Breastmilk is very digestible and you will see if your lo has gone a week without pooping they will poop a lot when they do. If she is gassy - does it seem to bother her? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

My little guy waited until almost two months to change his poop habits but he recently went 11 days without going and then went three days in a row. His pediatrician said that almost anything is normal for breast fed babies as long as it doesn't seem like they are struggling to poop. Also, make sure your baby's tummy feels normal and not hard. Our doctor said to just wait it out as long as our little guy was comfortable and his tummy felt fine.
    My sweet little Dylan was born 8/24/11.

Ok, I did not realize that this is also normal. My first daughter used to poop almost after every breastfeeding. She used to poop 8 - 10 times. But my second baby is very different, she hardly poops. Thats why I was very concerned.

Thanks a lot for your responses!

My kids were the opposite. My first could go a week between poops, my second still goes 2-3 times a day, and she's 18 months! I'd just keep an eye on weight gain and wet diaper output- as long as those stay normal I think you can assume that all is well.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"