Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upping production at work.

Default upping production at work.

Hello mama's,

I have had to up LO's bottles this week (when finishing bottles at daycare he always wants more). He is gaining well and I was suspecting that I would need to add some sooner than later. He is getting right what his weight calls for.

While at work I am able to keep up with what he eats now, but what is the best/easiest way to add a couple extra ounces a day to what I am currently getting?

I was having issues with my pumping a few weeks ago and have just changed out my membranes, valves and tubing. I am also bringing my newer (more efficient) pump to work with me now.

Here is what our current schedule is like.

630a ish feed LO.
    730 drop off to daycare.
    9-930 pump
    11-1130 pump
    1-130 pump
    3-330 pump
    515 pick up LO
    530-545 get home and feed LO. Nurse on demand for the rest of the night.

LO is starting to sleep longer and longer. I have been working on cutting out my middle of the night pump so that I can sleep as well. Right now that is giving me the extra that I need but I would like that to go away.

Sorry for being so long winded. Thanks for the info/advice
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Default Re: upping production at work.

I don't really understand what you mean that he is getting right what his weight calls for?

My first daughter drank roughly between 5 and 8 ounces of milk a day (she hated bottles) until she was a year old, I sent her with 12 ounces every day and she drank what she would.

My second daughter is 10 months old right now and she has fluctuated from 12 ounces to 16 ounces around 4 months of age and now she drinks between 8 and 11 ounces every day. I am away from her for approximately 10.5 hours and she does not sleep through the night, so she gets plenty of times to nurse when we are together. Her weight is certainly higher now than it was when she was drinking 16 ounces a day.

If you actually NEED to add some ounces (which is a big IF in my experience), then you'll probably have to start pumping once on the weekends to tell your body that you need more milk.

Also, have you started solids? You can add in solids to make up some of the milk.

Are you doing breast compressions while you are pumping? How much milk is he drinking while away from you? How much are you pumping in a day?

Babies will drink more from a bottle because it is easier. If you can tell us how much your LO drinks at daycare and in how many bottles that is, it would be helpful.
    General guidelines are 1-1.5oz per hour. For my LOs they drink 12oz in the 11 hours I am gone. They could drink more but they really don't need it, so DH finds other ways to soothe. It could be your LO is being overfed at daycare and the daycare isn't finding other ways to soothe.
    Consumption does not increase as a baby gets old, they will drink the same amount at 3 months as at 6 months (or something like that). It may actually decrease when solids are introduced.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I agree with the PP. You also could try power pumping. You pump for 10 min, rest for 10, pump for 10, rest for 10, pump for 10, rest for 10. It mimics clusterfeeding and seemed to get me an extra ounce at work or so.

I do also wonder the other questions PP have asked.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

He is 3 months, and I am hoping to do BM only until 6 months. On kelly mom they say 2-2.5 oz per pound per day of weight. So he takes half his feeding at daycare so I was taking half of what he should eat in a day. 4 bottles with 2.5-3 oz and now I am doing 3-3.5. My daycare is a stay home dad with 3 BF kids that were exclusively on BM till 6 months also. He has noticed the last few weeks that LO still acts hungry when finishing his bottle. That's why I was making the bottles a little bigger. 2 of his kids are in school all day so he just has his daughter and my son for most of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    Are you doing breast compressions while you are pumping? How much milk is he drinking while away from you? How much are you pumping in a day?
    Yes I am doing compressions. I get between 11-14 right now. Some days I get enough and others I don't.

The amount does fluctuate a bit normally. Frustrating though.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I've got similar issues that the OP has: started daycare last week and I'm having issues with not being able to pump enough. Fortunately I'm going back to full time slowly, so DS was in daycare for two days last week, two days this week, then three days the next two weeks, and then five days after that.

He's almost 5 months old and about 14-15 pounds. I nurse on demand and have calculated that he eats roughly 10 times a day. According to the milk calculator I should have 3-4 ounces in each bottle. When I worked and pumped last week, I was only able to get about five bottles of 2-2.5 ounces each. The daycare place says he seems hungry after every bottle and today I had to bring them bottles I pumped earlier in the day (bottles meant for his next daycare day) because he was going to run out. Now I'm behind for the next day, and since I'm already not getting enough during pumping sessions I'm getting anxious about how to make up those ounces.

If you add a pumping session to your day how soon can you expect to see your production increase? I've started pumping after he goes to bed at night to add an extra session in but I only started that last night. I'm going to pump this weekend as well. How many "extra" pumping sessions (pumpings aside from his feedings) should I consider adding to up my supply to an extra ounce or so a day?
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

Hellchick: So, first of all, it sounds like you're making a lot of milk! So you're definitely close to where you need to be, if not there already. Babies will eat more by bottle than by breast, so sometimes you need to just ask your DCP to try some other methods of comforting before giving more milk. Let the baby digest one bottle before assuming they're "still hungry." Just like with us, sometimes it takes a minute for their stomachs to realize they are full, you know?

If your baby is STTN, though, they may be getting more of their daily quota during the day, which can make it a bit harder.

Are you doing breast compressions? That can really help up production a bit - enough for an ounce or two for some women.

A lot of women find they still need one extra pumping session in the evening or early morning, especially if baby is sleeping well at night (babies who nurse at night are tiring, but at least their daytime milk needs tend to be lower, because they're spreading their feedings out over a longer time). Keep up that evening session for a few days, and your supply should respond with more and more milk.

And lots of moms have success increasing supply by eating more oatmeal, whole grains, and drinking PLENTY of water.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.