Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quantities for daytime care?

Default Quantities for daytime care?

I have read through the posts about how much breastmilk to leave for caregivers (1 to 1.5 oz per hour away) but I could use some more guidance. My baby is 15 weeks old. I leave for work early in the morning, while my baby's still sleeping, so my husband bottle feeds her first thing in the morning, and then the caregiver feeds her 3 times. If my husband feeds her closer to 5 oz. in the a.m. (she's always hungry for first feeding, so we want to give her more) and then she gets 3 oz three times before I get home (at 3:30) does that sound like too much/too little? We were giving her 5 oz for every bottle, but now she won't nurse well when I got home, even when it's time for bed! I cut her back to 4.5 oz per bottle, but she did the same thing. I'm afraid if she's not eating well once I get home, my supply will drop again, and I've had problems with low supply in the past. I don't have a lot of time to care for her and pump once I get home.

There are unfortunately going to be days I'll just feed her in the morning, and the caregiver and then my husband will have to feed her all day until bedtime. She generally eats about 7 times a day if I were to just breastfeed her. Should I just divide the 25 oz babies usually eat (according to kellymom) by the 7 times she eats?

I pump all different quantities, so I have a hard time just leaving what I pump (when I wake up I pump almost 8 oz, but during the day I pump about 3.5-4 per session).

Hope this isn't confusing, and thanks for all your help. I'm new to the forum!

Default Re: Quantities for daytime care?

How long in total are you away from her? It sounds like you are giving her 14 ounces in a day when you are at work. How many hours are there between nursings?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I'm away from her about 8 hours while she's awake. She seems to eat for the caregiver anywhere from 1.5 hours to 3 hours in between. With nursing when I get home, I'd say about every 1.5 hours on average. During the weekends, when I nurse exclusively, about every 2 hours.

During the days I'll have to work overtime, I'll be away from her for about 12 hours, sadly.

Hope that clarifies.

Are you sure she needs 5 ounces when she first wakes up? Do you nurse her at night?

I'm away from my children for 10.5 hours and there was probably 11 hours between nursing, sometimes a little bit more depending on when she last nursed. I left between 12 and 16 ounces for them... my first daughter was usually good with less than 12 and the second one sometimes wanted 16 ounces.

Sorry about the overtime. It's hard leaving our babies.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Can you wake her to nurse before leaving? My girls would sleep until 8am but I wake them at 6am to nurse before I leave for work. Then I don't have to pump and they get an extra nursing session. They go back to sleep after nursing, too.

14oz is on the high side for 8 hours. I would suggest smaller bottles, even if that means more bottles. Anywhere from 8-12oz should be appropriate.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Thank you for all the advice. I'm going to cut her back to around 12 oz., and maybe less if needed. I considered waking her up before I leave, but unless she wakes up on her own, I decided against it because she's not great with falling back to sleep.

I appreciate all of your help.

I'd definitely try to at least "dream feed" baby before you leave. If you are gentle, most babies will latch on, eat, and not even really wake up. I suggest this mostly to reduce your pumping burden, you know? Just because that first feeding is a lot, and if you could reduce that, your life would be easier. I'd at least try it. If it doesn't work, you haven't really lost anything.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I too was nervous about waking my babies up to eat before I left for work once they started sleeping longers (ie on weekends). But I kept doing it (based on the encouragement from mamas on here) and I am glad I did. It has helped my supply and I can connect with my girls before leaving for 11-12 hours. I keep the room dark, depending on how hungry they are, I change their diaper before or after they eat. then it's back in their cribs with mobiles on (as if it's bedtime). Give it a try!
    Also, it took a good 3-4 months until my girls started waking up on weekends at the same time as I wake them during the week.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I would think that "dream feeding" would help a lot. I dont turn any lights on and I dont talk to DS when he is dream nursing. That way he will stay asleep when I put him back in his bed. It may not work but is at least worth a try.

At 16 weeks DS was having bottles that were about 3 oz while at DC. In the 9 hours I was gone he would eat 3-4 bottles (most days just 3). Babies tend to eat more from bottles because they are forced to swallow or choke and sometimes just want to suck. DCP or DH could offer a finger for DD to suck on if she is after that and not necessarily a feeding.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

On Tuesdays I am away from DS (15 weeks) for ~9 hours. He usually eats 10 - 12 oz for my grandmother (I do not think she tries enough methods to soothe him before feeding) who has him for 5 hours, 3 oz for my mother, who has him for 2 hours, and then my husband usually waits for me to get home rather than feeding him, he has him the last 2 hours. DS sleeps through the night. I think he eats that much because A. he sleeps through the night and needs more during the day B. He's at the age for a growth spurt and C. Sometimes caregivers don't try enough calming methods before resorting to feeding. Hope this helps. You're not alone! I'm lucky that I'm only gone this long one day a week, but in a month it will turn to 4 days a week. Hoping to increase my supply with some Fenugreek and more pumping. Also working on a freezer supply.