Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible they will never wean?!

Default Is it possible they will never wean?!

I think every mom probably asks her self this question....

but I totally was pondering it today.

My son is 3.5 and showing no signs of slowing down. I know he's still young, but it still got me thinking.

Have there been cases where children just never stopped on their own?....I'm planning practicing child led weaning...
    Adoptive and Bio Mommy to Two Breastfeeding Boys!

http://iamnotthebabysitter.com/

Default Re: Is it possible they will never wean?

Since I don't see grown adults still nursing from their Mom's, I think we can safely say that everyone weans at some point. As your son starts to spend time away from you, he'll probably become more distracted and ask less naturally. Your availability and his distractions will probably be big factors.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

The Typical age of human children weaning when left to their own devices is fairly broad but it's between 3.5 and 5 years of age. I have never heard of anyone nursing past 8. So rest assure you will be done in the next 5 years.

Way too lazy for formula

Most of the mama's that I know who have made it past the 4 year mark have gently encouraged their children to wean. Some of these mama's have waited until 5, others closer to 4. So, I don't know if these children would have weaned on their own or not I would imagine at some point they would. According to the WHO, natural weaning occurs between 2 and 4, however other sources have stated that when there are no society issues (meaning NOT in North America ) children naturally wean between 4 and 7. The process of gently encouraging weaning is not traumatic. It includes saying things like: "When do you think you want to stop nursing?" and still letting the child lead, but introducing the idea that they wont be nursing forever. Helping to plan a weaning party helps a lot of kids. I personally still view this as child led weaning, because it is still ultimately the child who decides when to wean. And it's on their terms.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Child led weaning doesn't have to mean that they wake up one day and decide to not nurse. Once they get to a certain age you can talk about it and rationalize with them. So it becomes their decision, but you guide them there. Does that make sense? It's still gentle and it's still based on their needs, but you get to talk them through it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Okay, so it sounds like most of it is child and mother led....That is interesting!

My sister around 4 would wean all her kids. The only one that completely self-weaned told her her milk tasted rotten. She was pregnant and didn't know it, so we think that may have changed the taste of her milk.

I was 6 and my mom tapered me off. I don't remember the weaning process at all, so it was completely natural, but she said she gently coaxed me into weaning.

I just was thinking the other day, "If he had it his way, he would bring me to college with him so I could nurse him at night!"

Thanks for answering that!----I have yet to meet someone who let their child completely wean themselves with no outside coercion from mom. I was just curious if that ever happens.
    I guess not. And that makes me feel better when the time comes and I can help lead him into the weaning process without feeling like that isn't natural.

My daughter weaned at 18 months. I was so upset. I offered for a full month after. But my daughter never used me for comfort. It was purely food. So once my supply was gone and combined with a stuffy nose, she was done.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I thought for sure Joe would be five and still nursing, but (alas?) no, it was not meant to be. It's funny how something they are so crazily attached to one day ... they go through an independent phase and then it's not as important.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I feel the same way about DD who is only 2 1/2 but is still MAJORLY attached to the breast. I feel as if she will be one of those kids who nurse until they are in college...lol. I KNOW it wont happen that way, but some days it sure feels like it!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dara View Post
    I feel the same way about DD who is only 2 1/2 but is still MAJORLY attached to the breast. I feel as if she will be one of those kids who nurse until they are in college...lol. I KNOW it wont happen that way, but some days it sure feels like it!
    I'm so happy to hear I'm not the only one. Aram is 3 1/2 and I've tried to wean him to two times a day, but he always manages to make our sessions slowly creep back up. Now he's at four to five. If he had it his way he would be nursing as much as an EBF infant....lol well, maybe not that much...but a lot!