Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: XXL breasts - need positioning help

Default XXL breasts - need positioning help

I could really use some suggestions for comfortable positions to nurse in, especially out in public.

My situation:
    • I have EXTREMELY large breasts (40GG)
    • Currently forced to use nipple shield because DS won't nurse without one (trying to wean off the shield with no luck yet)
    • DS is 9 weeks old and almost 13 pounds

At home I'm able to nurse just fine with the use of the BrestFriend pillow. I have DS lie on his side to nurse... I also tuck a rolled up blanket under my breast to help elevate it. In this position, once DS has good suction going, I can usually free one or both hands.

My problem is that I am 100% dependent on this pillow. I can't figure out a way to hold DS comfortably (for him and me) and also hold my very very heavy breast along with a nipple shield.

Is my situation hopeless? Or do any of you have very large breasts and some suggestions to offer? I don't even think I will be able to use the BrestFriend pillow at home forever as DS gets bigger and bigger... plus he never seems completely comfortable lying on his side like that. :/

Help!

[Also forgot to mention - I have tried the football hold before, but DS hates it and it seems like the weight of my breast is pressing down on him too much in that position]

Default Re: XXL breasts - need positioning help

Some friends of mine just took the MBF with them when they went out! Left it in the car and nursed in the car as needed, or else velcroed it to the stroller. Yeah, a bit awkward, but it's short term, and whatever works, right?

For me (I was relatively well endowed at 36G or something like that), I did a couple of things. When in public, I would put my diaper bag on my lap and use that like the pillow. I would pack the diaper bag full of blankets and things I could move around to get things at the right angle. I also used to support my breast by putting a rolled up cloth diaper underneath the breast. (ETA: Just reread your post and you've figured this out! Sorry!) This helped so that I didn't have to hold that breast nonstop while also trying to support my baby on crossed legs.

Your situation is NOT hopeless! For one thing, this gets a ton easier when baby gets some head control, so it's TEMPORARY. Pretty soon your baby will be practically unhooking your nursing bra for you! Also, it DOES take a ton of trial and error, but you'll figure out what works for you. You won't need the pillow forever, but it's a lifesaver in the earlier months.

In the meantime, take your MBF with you, at least leave it in the car as a back up while you try to work out the other details.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with pp. It will get so much easier soon. By the time your baby is 4 months old you likely will be a pro. I am also well endowed (32G/32H). I never had to deal with the nipple shield, but did struggle a lot with OS and OALD. I found laid back nursing to be the easiest. When we were out and about during the early days, nursing in the car with the seat reclined and baby on top worked well.

When you wean off the shield, it will get a lot easier. Don't worry, it will happen. My friend used a shield for three months before, one day, her baby just latched on without it. Keep trying and try not to get discouraged. The fact that your baby is nursing with a shield is GREAT. It's a bit inconvenient, but at least you've gotten that far!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks for the replies and encouragement, ladies! I kind of forgot the fact that DS will grow bigger and stronger and be able to hold his own head up and sit and everything.

It has been quite the struggle for us, but things have gotten SO much better. DS had mild tongue tie and we got off to a horrible start from day one... ended up bottle feeding and he completely refused to latch at all. I was exclusively pumping for the first 5.5 weeks, before FINALLY I got him to nurse with a shield and we haven't looked back. As annoying as the nipple shields are, they are way way way better than having to exclusively pump and bottle feed. I'm looking forward to the day when we can ditch them... they are so cumbersome and messy, but I will happily continue using them if that's the only way I can nurse my baby. But I do keep the hope that we canditch them eventually!

Actually, on the topic of weaning from the shield... I have gotten DS to latch on my left side once or twice without the shield, but the problem is that he does not open his mouth at all. I'm not talking he opens just a little bit... I mean he literally will not open his mouth even a crack... instead he just bashes his face into my breast. When there is a shield, he can sort of slip onto it without opening his mouth... but that obviously doesn't work with a real nipple. I've tried all the tricks of tickling his lip, etc, nothing works... any new and different ideas to get him to open up?

He doesn't make a rooting face at all? (We called this the "hungry baby bird face." ) Never?

Has his tongue tie been clipped or stretched out at all?

You can call me JoMo!

I'm a I cup so I know your "pain" lol. I haven't figured out how to not use the MBF. I bought two. One I keep int he car, and one I keep in the house. Extra covers for both for cleaning. I fed DD2 on it till she was over 12 months. I am not sure if this is true or not cause I have only bought the deluxe and not the other kinds, but I heard that the deluxe version (the kind with the furry cover) is larger then the regular ones.

Where exactly are you wanting to feed?

I've used the MBF pretty much every where. It makes it easier and we know how to do it with it, so you know the saying if it's not broken, don't fix it. Otherwise I always have to hold up a boob, etc, cause they are just too heavy and large for baby, at least for mine. Plus I have tried many times with out the pillow when I left it in the car, thinking I would only be in the place I went for a few minutes, and it's just a mess, baby isn't comfy etc. However, we do the football hold on the pillow, I do not put them under me/breast etc, they are on the pillow side laying is all.

Any way, I have taken the MBF in to pretty much every where we go. I find in restaurants though it's easier to use the MBF in large booths. I feel more comfortable in them as the I don't feel like he will roll off as easy.

So far no one has said a word or batted a eye at me about it.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I saw this.

http://www.momandbabyshop.com/utterl...ow-medium.html

Does he imitate you when you say open and show him during one of his active/alert phases? If so, that is a start...
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!