Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: no pain until started pumping @ work

Default no pain until started pumping @ work

Just back to work after 7 weeks of wildly successful, pain free nursing. Even introduced a bottle & pacifier at 5 weeks with no issues. Now that I am pumping with the Medela Symphony (hospital pump) 4 - 6 times a day x 10 - 20 min each & the base of my nipples are incredibly raw. I pump that much at work because I work 10 - 12 hour days. Have only been back to work 5 days, noticed the soreness on day 3. was using the lansinoh lanolin but seemed to make the base of the nipples stickier & hurt more. Started using left over mama bee belly balm & that eases some discomfort while pumping but still sore. Am using 27 mm breast shields. Also have the setting on low (3 drops appear on screen in stimulation phase & 5 bars appear on letdown phase). Any advice?

Default Re: no pain until started pumping @ work

Did anyone help you with this at the hospital? Did they check the shields for a good fit? I would call them and discuss this with them. They may can troubleshoot for you. Good luck!!

Sounds like a major fit issue to me. Like those are the wrong size. I should take a 27 mm, but I found I needed a 36 to make the pain go away.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I've been pumping & breastfeeding the whole time & never hurt. They gave me the pump with the 27mm shields in the hospital to take home b/c they didn't think my milk was coming in. (Whole 'nother story there!) We kept the pump b/c to rent it for 6 months costs the same as to buy one of the higher end retail ones that I've heard doesn't work as well. Granted, I was only pumping 2x/day at home. I didn't know the shields came in larger sizes. I will search for them. Also tried hand expressing a little before & either the pump wasn't sucking as well or it worked to lessen the pain.

Yes, they come in bigger sizes. You may have to order them. I was sized by two IBCLCs and I should be in a 27, but it hurt even with the 30 they gave me. So I use a 36, and it is much better. Olive oil versus lanolin may also help.

If that doesn't work, look into PumpinPals. Some moms love them, I hated them, but it's worth a try if you are still sore.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Totally agree about resizing...my old pump failed me while out of town, so had to buy a different one. The shields were a different size and were too small. I hurt pretty quickly after using the smaller shield. You've had no issues until pumping so my bets on the shields.

I'll try right away. Thanks!