Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: decreased milk supply and amoxycillan?

Default decreased milk supply and amoxycillan?

hi ladies,
    i am on day 8 of amoxycillan and i am seeing a drop in the amount of milk i am pumping for the past 3 days or so. I normally pump around 4oz in 3.5 hours and now only 3oz or a little less. did anyone else have this happen?
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

Default Re: decreased milk supply and amoxycilla

this never happened to me but i see that your post has gone by without a reply so i'm bumping--perhaps someone who's been through this might read it.

my only thought is that the decreased supply might be because of illness/infection (i.e. the reason you were prescribed the antibiotic in the first place).
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

There's nothing in Hale about amoxicillin having any effect on milk supply. It is pretty common to have a drop in supply when you're sick though. Or if baby's been sick and his appetite is affected, it could cause temporary fluctuations in milk supply. Some cold medicines containing antihistamines are known to reduce milk production too. I don't know if any of those are relevant here.

I'm sorry we missed this when you posted it. I hope you're feeling better!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Did you take any Sudafed when you were sick? That can also affect supply.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I'm dealing with the same thing - but I finished my Antibiotics a week ago and my supplly has actually dropped more since then, but I'm still fighting it off. So I'm going under the assumption that my supply is suffering due to being sick. I'd been combating it with frequent pumping, but going to start taking fenugreek to see if that helps.

thanks for responding. finished medicine quite a while ago now and i'm feeling well, still battling low supply (only know this via what i am pumping) baby seems fine when he is at the breast. i am using a new pump on wed so hopefully the pump performance is my problem. thanks again.
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11