Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frequent night waking for a co-sleeper

Default Frequent night waking for a co-sleeper

Hi all,
    For the past 1-2 months my now 10 month old has started waking up every 2-2.5 hours at night, and won't fall back asleep with just rubbing/patting his back, shhh-ing, etc, he has to be nursed back to sleep. Prior to this I'd feed him and he'd fall asleep around 7-8pm, I'd sometimes feed him when I went to bed or he'd wake around midnight-ish, then again around 3-4am, then up for the day at 7-ish. We co-sleep with his crib (one side down) against our bed. I'm honestly loosing my mind, and have started to absolutely dread nighttime which is such a shame as I used to love nighttime feeds with my sweet boy, just he and I in the dark all snuggled up. My hub and I are exhausted. When he wakes at night for the umpteenth time I just feel close to tears, and I don't want my boy picking up on that. Any tips, hints or helpful suggestions are HUGELY appreciated!

Default Re: Frequent night waking for a co-sleep

My daughter is 11 months and she stopped doig this finally. (sorta). Ive noticed with my daughter, she wakes up to nurse for anythin she feels is unconfortable. If she's going through a growth spurt, her teeth hurt, she has gas, shes bored etc.
    Not sure how I got her in these habits but some nights I let my daughter fuss, other nights I give her a pacifier and some nights I nurse her.
    I sympathize with you, my daughter woke every 2 hours for 9 months then every 3 house till a month ago. Its very frustrating. Especially since theyre older and theyrequire more milk from us and more energy as we chase them around.

Now that I think about it, what really helped for us was moving our crib away from the bed....its about 4 feet away now which stinks at 3 am but my sleep started to stretch to5 hour increments

I hate to say this, but every 2-2.5 hours doesn't sound that bad s:

My almost 10 month old does that too, and since he sleeps right next to me, I barely wake up when he nurses. The thing that DOES make me crazy is when he wants to nurse from 2-6 am non-stop! He does take a pacifier though, and when I feel like, crap you just nursed five minutes ago! I give him that. Sorry, mama, sleep deprivation sucks! But for a 10 month old I do think it's within normal range!
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*melissawoods View Post
    I hate to say this, but every 2-2.5 hours doesn't sound that bad
    And if you can easily nurse him back to sleep, I'd just do that, and forego the other methods that aren't working so well. Given the age, I'd bet he's getting some teeth, and this isn't going to last forever, he's just uncomfortable right now. Maybe try some tylenol/motrin before bed?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks for the tips, but I first thought it was b/c he was teething (5 came through at once), then thought it was a growth spurt, then b/c I was at my parents place for a week, then b/c we were in England, then... You know, there will always be 'something'. Life is like that. And honestly Melissa, I chuckled when you said that it doesn't sound that bad with your emoticon, haha! I hear you but for me, it's not working. I've tried allllll the patience, change of attitude, meditating...but at the end of the day, I'm exhausted and that makes me not the kind of mother I want my son to have b/c I'm not in the frame of mind that I want him to feel from me. The only advice I've received was to put him in his crib in another room (our bedroom is so tiny that his crib is really either sidecar with our bed or a few inches away - makes it impossible for my short-self to place or pick him up from the crib) which I'm not ready for yet.
    Sigh. I'll just keep on keeping on and see what comes of it...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*siggyx View Post
    I'll just keep on keeping on and see what comes of it...
    This is really all you can do. This is all any of us do.

Personally, my life got better when I stopped trying to change my baby all the time, and just started going to bed a bit earlier. I have a demanding job, and I have to be able to use my brain at work. That's how I survived a child who woke every hour or two for 18 months (but he is legendarily a bad sleeper, so don't worry, this is not likely to happen to you). Eventually his sleep got better, but after trying EVERYTHING and giving up, I can say for sure it wasn't anything I did!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

And all I'll say...it is SO MUCH EASIER when you can just nurse through these night wakings. My almost 10 month old has been waking frequently ever since his surgery. So, for a laugh, here was last night.

I have a bad cough right now, and it's not helping either. So baby falls asleep at 10 and sleeps until midnight. During that time I run around lie a crazy person trying to straighten up the mess from all day and four kids, then I go pump, which takes an hour at that time of night (I get 8 oz though, enough for 2 overnight bottles). When I'm done, DH lays the baby down with me, which promptly wakes him up. I feed him some milk from the day, hoping it is enough to tide him over, but baby starts crying, so I had use part of one of my overnight bottles. DH takes him back, and I rested my eyes. DH brought him back and all is well....until the cough kicks in at 1 am. Woke the baby, who howled. I know he's not hungry, and I also know that milk is not infinite here in this situation. So DH and I walk around with a crying baby for 1.5 hours, until it's time for another bottle.

The entire time, I was thinking, if only you could breastfeed!! Because all you want is to suckle, get some milk and you would be off to dreamland.

He blew through 4 oz in nothing flat but consented to sleep another 1.5 hours, where we washed and repeated, after playing on the bed between DH and I for an hour. During that time, he kicked me in the head, threw himself backward on purpose to hit me with his head, and I got a black eyed rom that; he also stepped on my nipples and crawled all over. Played with a Pillow pet. Generally mayhem. I just laid there, hoping my non-interaction would encourage him to sleep.

Then the booger woke up fussing at 7, hungry, and I had no milk. So I dragged myself to the kitchen to get out a packet of frozen milk, which takes 4 minutes -- I stood there, staring at the clock -- to thaw under running water. Holding a crying baby. Coughing, which seems to upset him.

So much easier to just nurse.

One of other kids used to wake 9 times a night. Tylenol and Advil combo helped him, as well as teething remedies, but it was a stage...he is a great sleeper now. He slept through all of the above, with baby climbing all over him, chattering away. You will get through this.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'm many months behind you, but my daughter has started this trend too (4.5 months). At first I was hoping it was just a growth spurt as she was sleeping on average about 3-5 hours at a clip. Now it's every hour and a half to two hours, and has stayed this way for about a month now. It feels like I have a newborn again, and it's exhausting.

I've turned to the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley and some of the techniques have been successful at getting her up a half and hour to an hour more at a clip. I highly recommend the book. If nothing else, at least you're trying to gently get them back to sleep and still maintain your nursing/supply with your baby and not resorting to crying it out!

I feel for you mama!!
    Happy first time mommy to a beautiful, healthy baby girl born 7.7.2011
    exclusively and loving it!!
    I'm doing my part to help educate others about the benefits of breastfeeding, cloth diapering, and erasing social norms that keep women from doing what comes most naturally when it comes to having babies!

I am going through the same thing, but my 19 week old DS wakes up every 1-1.5 hours...EVERY NIGHT!!!! This has been going on for over a month. He does not want a pacifier. Tylenol hardly ever works. He rarely wants his papa. He just wants to nurse. There has even been times when he just wants my boob on his cheek, or just wants my nipple to hang out of his mouth. Usually after the 4th or 5th feeding of the night, he wants to play for about 30 minutes. Once again, he rarely wants to play with his papa....just me! If no one plays with him, he screams his head off and then laugh as soon as I pick him up. So, I get up and play with him for 30 minutes or so, then put him back to sleep around 4:00 ish, then my alarm goes off at 4:30 am

This really suck, but I've just learned to roll with the punches. Can't wait for better days
    The love of my life, Rogelio Federico aka Tre, was born on 22 July 2011.
    Active Duty Army Mom thats hates , but loves : and

I really feel for you! I have been through the same thing with my DS. He would wake up every 1-2 hrs for over a month, after he had been sleeping at night. I felt like a bad mother because I had a short fuse with everyone. So... I have been there, it will get better. I have notices when my son was teething he would have a harder time staying asleep. Giving him teething meds with some cereal, a massage, a bath and then nursing last.. we got into a routine that let him know it was bed time. Getting their teeth is miserable. So hang in there, it will get better.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011