Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to introduce bottle

Default When to introduce bottle

hi mamas - really great forum here, hats off to all you ladies for the great support you all are providing here :-)

I have a question on what the right time to try giving DD a bottle. She is 9 weeks, nursing well, gaining weight great. I go back to work in February when she'll be 5 months and plan to pump at work. Is it too late to wait till then to introduce a bottle.. I don't want to cause any nipple confusion by doing it too early either.. Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance.

Default Re: When to introduce bottle

You could start now if you wanted to. If she's 9 weeks and doing well, you should be ok. When I started introducing a bottle, we just did one a day. I had to leave the house, and my partner would do it.

I went back to work at 12 weeks, so we started at about 8 weeks.

I never had my partner feed her if I was there though. We only did the bottle thing to get our daughter used to it. I always just nursed her at home. She only took bottles at daycare.

My daughter is still a boobaholic. In fact, I've never actually given her a bottle myself. She would nurse over a bottle any day of the week when she was small, too.

HTH!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

PP gave great advice. Just wanted to add that you probably don't want to wait too long. My son has never taken a bottle and not for lack of trying. We had issues in the beginning and he was bottle fed for 3 weeks. Once I got him on the breast we didn't try a bottle again until he was about 5 months old. He has refused every time it's been offered. I'm lucky there's been no reason to be away, but it can be frustrating going through the process.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Once my kids were gaining good and breastfeeding well established (usually around 5 weeks) DH tried a breastmilk bottle every couple days. Neither of my kids took to a bottle immediately and had to try about 3 different types. By the time they were about 10 weeks they tolerated a bottle for a short time. By the time they were about 12 weeks I was back at work, working two 12 hour shifts in a row on the weekend. Both did finewith me being gone from 5:30 am until 7pm for those 2 days. But the minute I walked through the door it was all tears and had to immediately latch.

Thanks for the feedback! I hope to start in the next couple weeks and see how she does. Planning to try Playtex drop-ins first