Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anxiety Rush Before Breastfeeding

Default Anxiety Rush Before Breastfeeding

I've got a 12 day old and for the past 5 days I get a rush of adrenaline/anxiety about 2.5hrs before it's time to breastfeed. I don't feel nervous about the feeding, I've spent an hour plus before working on latching, etc., but can't get rid of this shaky feeling.

Deep breathing only works so well. Anyone know if this is normal? It makes it difficult to relax and get the milk let-down. Maybe it's just a cycle that feeds itself…

Any advice is welcome!

Default Re: Anxiety Rush Before Breastfeeding

Is there anything going on when this feeling hits? Did baby just come off the breast, or is baby perhaps crying?

The only physiological cause that springs to mind is DMER: http://d-mer.org/. But just 12 days in seems a bit early to go for that diagnosis.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Maybe PPD? I've heard that can make you overly anxious about lots of things. I don't have much experience other than the typical baby blues (plus a touch of seasonal depression), so I'm reluctant to say much more than that.

However, I did DREAD every single feeding the first several weeks because of the horrible pain. Once the pain subsided, the dread did as well. If you're having difficulties, maybe troubleshooting those here would help?

I also found that it helped not to focus on nursing other than getting a decent latch and keeping my baby awake. I watched a lot of movies, read a lot of books, and surfed the web a lot. My husband even bought me an iPad because I was parked on the couch or in bed trying to read things on the screen of my iPod about 22 of the 24 hours in the day. Perhaps a little distraction might help with the anxiety; it helped me get through the days early on.

I'm feeding every 2.5-3hrs because little dude was 3 wks early and has a bit of jaundice. So when there's only a half hour until it's time to feed I get a hot flash, slight shakes and general feeling of anxiety. I was on medication for anxiety before baby but really wanted to try and go without since it'd be expressed through the breast milk. I don't think I feel nervous about feeding tho. Yes, we're having some latching problems, etc. but that seems pretty normal since we're both newbies at this and altho I am having some pain too I'm using nipple shields/guards every once in a while and those are helping too. I'm not setting any time limits or pressure and have snacks, my phone and Kindle ready and waiting for feeding time. Just have the jitters too

I'll look into the DMER-thank you for the recommendation. It's just strange because it's an illogical anxiety attack that not even deep breathing really helps with…

So... If you were to allow the baby to set his own schedule, he'd go more than 2.5-3 hours between feeds? If so, I'm glad you're being so proactive about getting him to nurse! Things may ease up as his jaundice fades. Jaundiced babies can be sleepy and once they're not jaundiced anymore nursing typically gets easier, since the baby sets the clock instead of you needing to worry about how long it's been since the last feed. Clock-watching can generate a surprising amount of anxiety!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

A hot flash makes me think this is hormonally based. I had those with my first baby. It may improve as your hormones even out over the next few weeks.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My oldest was born three weeks pre due date and had some mild jaundice too. We were put on a feeding schedule by one doctor, every two hours. We had to wake baby Henry up EVERY nursing session, and due to all kinds of issues, every nursing session lasted over an hour. I never had a break before it was time to go again! We were going insane. Finally, after about two weeks, we called the doctors office on a weekend and got a different doctor on call, and he told us to let the baby sleep. We did, he slept for about 4 hours (oh joy, but it scared me!) and then when he woke up on his own, we started cue nursing and things really began to turn around. We were not nursing less overall, if anything, we were nursing more times per day, but it felt more natural. He would cluster nurse-nurse VERY frequently for a time, and then take a longer stretch. I later found out this was more the way most babies nurse. We had all kinds of other issues, latch, supply, etc, and that was helped by seeing a lactation consultant. But I’ll never forget how things improved when I started ‘watching my baby, not the clock.”

Maybe (speculation alert) you are feeling this anxiety a half hour before ‘feeding time’ because your body is saying ‘nursing time NOW’ and you are waiting because of the instruction to nurse every 2.5 hours. One of the things that is not talked about much is that moms can have that ‘ready to nurse’ feeling just as babies do-and anxiety if it is ignored.

Maybe you can get some clarification from your doctor as to why he is saying to nurse this way. If it is to INCREASE the overall frequency of nursing sessions, so baby gets more milk overall, perhaps if you can increase the number of nursing sessions per day without the rigid such and such hours schedule, that may be OK with your doctor too. Also, if breastfeeding is uncomfortable for you, that is usually a solvable issue. You may consider contacting your local La Leche League for more help, it sounds like you have already worked with a LC, if you liked her and can see her again that may be a good idea too. Sometimes latch issues are tricky, and need further tweaking. Moms nurse a lot in these early days and it should not only not hurt, but be comfortable. Adjusting positioning may help as well.

Most medications are compatible with breastfeeding. Before refusing a medication that may help you due to breastfeeding, I suggest you look into the research by calling your local LLL Leader and asking her if she can look up the medication in the book Medications and Mothers Milk by Dr. Thomas Hale, or just call his organization directly : www.infantrisk.org – Infantrisk is open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. (806)-352-2519

Further reading I wish I had had when I was going through those early days with my first:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...eding_cues.pdf

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...py_newborn.pdf

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...tionsandbf.pdf

Thank you everyone! And thanks for the links LLLMeg. I have the 2wk appt with pediatrician this Wed. a.m. so hopefully we'll be able to go more on-demand feeding. The PDFs with more tips to wake the baby should help too-thanks. I'm also hoping to go back on a half dose of anxiety meds and see if that helps too. I know when I'm worked up little dude can tell and that stresses him out too.

Today's a rough latching day. But gotta take it one day at a time I know. Thank you for the support everyone!
    First time Mom • Theron James born 11-1-11 @ 37wks via C-Section • Livin' lovin' life and looking for support and advice!