Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Better without bottles?

Default Better without bottles?

I think the next time I have a baby, I'm not ever starting bottles!! I know that since I am gone from him at times I have to, but in my opinion they are more trouble for the people watching my son!! (I don't really work so I'm usually only apart for 3 hours max.)

I have talked about this in other threads, but my son will always drink down a bottle like there's no tomorrow, no matter how much there is in there. Leading most of the sitters (MIL, my mom, church nursery workers) to believe that he is STARVING! If they come get me or when I return, I am told he is starving and I need to feed him. Which always makes me feel like a terrible mother for not leaving enough! But as soon as I nurse him, he sucks for a few seconds and either falls asleep or looks up at me and smiles. So no matter how much I tell the sitters that he isn't really hungry but wants to nurse for comfort, they don't seem to get it. Except my mom, who now understands.

So that brings me to my point. Since he is almost 6 months now and goes up to 3 hours during the day without eating, should I just stop giving them bottles if I will be gone for just an hour or so? I was leaving bottles no matter how short of a time I was going to be gone "just in case", but any time he got upset they would feed him, only making him more upset because he wants to comfort nurse. My husband thinks that isn't a good idea, but I think the bottles makes it worse.
    What do you guys think?

Default Re: Better without bottles?

Pretty soon he'll be starting on solids so you can leave some solids and a sippy cup of water instead. For now, you could leave the bottle, but make it a bit more difficult, by leaving it in the fridge, etc.? And say clearly before you go that he shouldn't need it, and it's just in the very unlikely case that he can't be comforted other ways?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Can you try a sippy cup? My son drinks much more slowly from a cup, and I like that he has control over how much he gets.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    Can you try a sippy cup? My son drinks much more slowly from a cup, and I like that he has control over how much he gets.
    I'd like to try that- he already tries to feed himself his bottle anyway! Any specific kind of cup better to start with? I have looked at the stores and there is a million choices!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Pretty soon he'll be starting on solids so you can leave some solids and a sippy cup of water instead. For now, you could leave the bottle, but make it a bit more difficult, by leaving it in the fridge, etc.? And say clearly before you go that he shouldn't need it, and it's just in the very unlikely case that he can't be comforted other ways?
    I am really hoping solids will help! How early can I start leaving things since I am planning on doing BLW? What kinds of things are best to leave with a sitter?

For self feeding with a sippy cup we like the Tommee Tippee 4m+ started cup. It is like $6 at BRU and my son has been plying with feeding himself with it since about 4 months. There is a bit of a learning curve on it I think... be he has the hang of it now at 6 months. Also, my son sucks bottles down like crazy, too. It took my mother and other caregivers a little while to get used to it, but they know now that he will gulp it down, cry when its finished and that he is NOT starving because of this. Can you try and explain this at all or do they just not listen?

For leaving food with a caretaker, soft pieces of sweet potato, fresh baked apples, etc? Although I did a lot of BLS with Joe, I sometimes left him with something more approximating baby food when other people were taking care of him because sometimes he gagged and I didn't want them to be so alarmed.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mskalinin View Post
    Also, my son sucks bottles down like crazy, too. It took my mother and other caregivers a little while to get used to it, but they know now that he will gulp it down, cry when its finished and that he is NOT starving because of this. Can you try and explain this at all or do they just not listen?
    Good to know it's not just my guy! I have explained it to my mom and she gets it. The workers at church always seem to listen, but it's not always the same ones watching him, so I'd have to explain it every time. My MIL seems to get it at the time I explain it, but I heard about how hungry he was as soon as I returned. Oh well! That is true that soon he will have solids and a cup as a choice to offer, so I hopefully I can stress less about it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Or say that it's only for just in case you get held up doing whatever you as doing and don't make it back in x amount of hours.

I initially bought a few different kinds of cups. My son is fairly non-selective and will drink from all of them, but he seems to prefer the Nuby and Playtex sippy cups (both are the soft spout kind). So far he hasn't been able to figure out straws, though, so we don't use that kind yet.

When mine was 6/7 months, he did very well with asparagus (I just cooked it a little longer than I normally would), avocado (you can smash it up some if you are worried about choking), tomato, pears, and peaches. However, he mostly bit off chunks and spit them out until he was 10/11 months. He's always been really into pasta. I really like fiori, rotini, and rigatoni. If you are just starting out, stelline pretty soft and small and non-chokable. These days (he'll be 12 months next week!!!) he likes to snack on Cheerios and those freeze dried yogurt snacks.

In your shoes, I would probably offer a few things at home for a bit to get an idea of what foods he prefers and does well with. Then leave those things for whomever is watching him. Good luck!