Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused, need help pleaseee :)

Default Confused, need help pleaseee :)

Hiya,

I'm expressing milk for my son he is a month old. I just got some SMA gold today and he has not tried it yet.. I gave him some aptimil last night and he was sick lots so stopped that

I was wondering.. If I want to do combination feeding.. how many oz of breastmilk do I give and then top him up with sma. He has about 4oz of my milk at the moment..do i just top him up with sma if he wants more after that... how do I know when to increase the oz's of breastmilk as at the moment I can express about 5-6 oz at each session in total..(according to his age)

I'm just a little confused about what I'm doing.

Any advice would be appreciated

Default Re: Confused, need help pleaseee :)

What is SMA gold? I strongly encourage you to put him back on the breast. Also, if he is a month old, 4 oz at a feeding sounds like too much at a time.
    We are here to help you breast feed. We are here to give you advice on that and answer you questions. Iiwy, I would put away the formula. If one kind made him sick, I wouldn't try another. Especially not if you are pumping enough milk. Little babies do not need as much breast milk as formula fed babies. Breast milk changes according to the age of the baby and other factors. Your breast milk is made especially for your baby. You don't really increase bottle size for breastmilk fed babies. How often are you pumping? How much are you getting when you pump? If pumping is what your heart is set on, we want you to succeed at that. Your baby deserves breastmilk. Formula doesn't hold a candle to breastmilk. I really want to help you succeed.

If you want to do combination feeding, I would give breastmilk first when possible (at this age, anyway) and then supplement. But the problem with this is that for many moms this will reduce your supply so much that in the end there won't be any breastmilk. We've seen this pattern so many times on these threads.

Just substituting one feeding a day can be a little better, but the problem is that formula is heavy and it satiates the baby so it can interfere with even the next couple of feedings, lowering your supply.

As PP said, we'd love to help you figure out breastfeeding. If you need to supplement, we'll tell you that too. But if you're serious about combination feeding, I would at least trying to breastfeed through three or four months, so that your supply is better established, before starting to seriously substitute. Otherwise, so often, combination feeding turns to just formula feeding in a few weeks.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post

Just substituting one feeding a day can be a little better, but the problem is that formula is heavy and it satiates the baby so it can interfere with even the next couple of feedings, lowering your supply.

Otherwise, so often, combination feeding turns to just formula feeding in a few weeks.

I know nothing about formula. I FF one baby, but he was one I watched, and his mother chose the formula. (and ick is all I can say about formula. His poop was so nasty, and his clothes smelled.) What I took away was how much harder FF is. Washing. Mixing. Heating while baby was crying from sudden hunger. Not having a hand free. Having to always have lots of clean water. I'm not saying it doesn't have its place, but it doesn't make sense to use it if you are physically capable of feeding your child for free from your breast, and it is not nearly as healthy as breastmilk.

4 oz is too much for a baby that age, though. My 9 month old only drinks 4 oz. the reason is that breastmilk concentrates as your baby ages, so the intake is always consistent. This is not true for formula, so a baby could be taking more and more as he ages, but even the AAP says to max out for an older baby at 6 oz.

There are a few moms here who have to combo feed because of supply problems, and hopefully they will stop in to give their perspective.

I know you feel like you have D-MER, but you have said a few things that make me wonder if you have PPD.

And I want to encourage you again to breastfeed....I'm sitting here trying to pump, but my mobile baby is unplugging my tubes, pulling on the pump, messing with the knob and now wants to be picked up. But I can't because of these things hooked to me, and it's breaking both of our hearts Pumping seems easy when baby is just laying there, but there are so many downsides.

There are many, many moms here who had rough starts, had D-MER, had various problems and went on to overcome. You can too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

The thing is, if Im just producing...whatever I'm producing at the moment and it doesn't go over that..and then when he starts feeding more... That's the only amount I'll have so I'll have to top up with sma ...

The question is, will my supply increase as he feeds more, if so...how will it if I'm already pumping around every 3 hours... how will I get more.

@Juno I produce 4-5 oz's every 3-4 hours.

Why is everyone saying it's too much He drinks 6oz sometimes...rare but he does do 5 quite a bit. My midwife said to me when he was born that make sure he drinks a ounce every 3 hours but I remember he exceeded that straight away

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html regarding bottle feeding the Breastfed baby.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/bre...mental-bottles

The reason we all say it's too much is:
    1. The average mom makes 1 to 2 oz per hour.
    2. Your milk composition will change as baby gets older, and you will NOT be feeding him more. He may have growth spurts, where he nurses more, but it will be fine. You will have enough milk if you let baby drive.
    3. Breastfed babies, no matter their age, always take 1 to 1.5 oz per hour of separation from mom. There are a few who once in a while will take more, but it's not common.

http://www.ivillage.com/expressed-mi...eed/6-n-137234 for an equation to help you figure our how much to give.

When faced with a mom who is telling me that their baby needs more, I think the following:
    1. Baby has been overdid from the beginning and has a stomach that is stretched out
    2. Nipple is too fast -- most bottle nipples are honestly too fast -- or is old. They wear out every 2-4 weeks.
    3. Paced feeding isn't being used, so baby isn't feeling full when he should

Regarding your supply...it's just fine. You are on the higher end. But the more you nurse, the greater the demand and the bigger your supply gets. Add in pumping, and it could be very large (which has its own set of problems).

It is NOT nearly as easy to build a supply via a pump. I can tell you how, but honestly, it sounds like you have enough milk. You have a baby who can nurse. It's normal for a baby to want to hang out at the breast for what seems like hours in the first few months. It's society's odd interpretation of how children should be that makes most new moms believe that you should be able to feed the baby and then put the baby down. His survival depends on being with mom. He doesn't know a tiger isn't coming to eat him.

And I HATE it when someone tells a mom to feed X amount or for X time Just feed the baby. Don't pump. Don't watch the clock. Just go to bed and let the baby nurse. It will be fine.
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; November 13th, 2011 at 03:12 PM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

with the advice so far. Mama, I know it has to be hard to come here and get told the same thing over and over- put the baby to the breast, step away from the pump, stop the bottles, throw out the formula- but you have the potential to nurse this baby successfully, and we want you to have that success! I know right now it may seem very overwhelming to try to nurse, when bottles and pumping seem so much easier and more predictable. The problem with puping and bottle-feeding isn't in the early weeks, when it can really be easier than nursing. It's in the future. Babies aren't newborn forever. Before you know it, you're going to face the situation that EP moms always run into- care for the baby or keep your pumping routine? As aprilsmagic said, a day will come when your baby is mobile and is doing something you need to attend, yet if you don't pump you're going to run low on milk. We don't want that for you!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi first ITA with ALL the great advise posted. That said heres my story in a nutshell: LO 1&2 BF for a short time LO #3 read EVERYTHING iI could get my hands on so I would be successfull this time around (and was BF for 3.5+yrs) But it took ALOT of work, LO#4 WAY EASY!(bf for 3.5+yrs) And now as for LO #5 (he is 9mo) He got jaundice at 2days was put in hospitol, couldnt remove milk well so my supply tanked, Lo had trouble gaining as fast as drs wanted so they put LO BACK in hospitol & reported me to CPS for neglecting my DS so I was FORCED to FF with supps NO ONE (dr-lc) were helpful or supportive. I had MANY MANY days of tears ALL I WANTED WAS TO BF MY BABY! SO... I pumped after EVERY feeding, took herbs (couldnt get scrip meds in states) RE-READ EVERY book I could get my hands on and MOST IMPORTAIN, NOD (even when I was advied to *give it up* & I came to this forum where I got the support,encouragemnt,advise, I VERY much needed. SO (I mean no disrespect by this) BUT it KILLS me when I see a mom in your sisuation, I started out pumping 15cc TOTAL every 2hrs, you getting 4oz is AWESOME. Having to pump to increase supply SUCKS! but I did it b/c I HAD to. It sounds like you dont so why do it? IMHO I would get rid of the formula and NOD if LO dosnt *NEED* it why give it? Im sorry if I sound a bit harsh but if your truely wanting to BF and give your LO the best (BREASTMILK) then thats what you should focus on. There are SOOO many of us who have struggled with BFing and EPing so your at the right place if thats what your struggling with. I wish you the best of luck
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Mama, I know it has to be hard to come here and get told the same thing over and over- put the baby to the breast, step away from the pump, stop the bottles, throw out the formula- but you have the potential to nurse this baby successfully, and we want you to have that success!
    x a million. It makes me terribly sad to find a mom has not nursed or is EPing because of bad advice or simple misunderstanding of what is necessary to get off the ground. Because I have successfully nursed several babies then had to EP. And I know the joy and connection that comes with BREASTfeeding, and it isn't there with bottle feeding, no matter what is in that bottle. I'm not saying babies who are fed via bottle are not loved...what I am saying is the connection is different.

You have the potential for an amazing relationship with your new baby, who wants to be with you, to nurse, to be nurtured by mom. Not by a bottle, or anyone else. You have the chance to spend time with this new being and shape his world. Much harder to bond and be with baby in the moment when you are trapped by a stupid pump or have to run to the store for formula.

I would give anything to be in your shoes -- to have a newborn to cuddle and nurse Because it goes quickly. Faster than you can imagine.
    Susan