Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Discouraged

  1. #1

    Exclamation Discouraged

    I have read a lot of the other threads and i guess this may be some what silly because i feel like I'm just reiterating what others have asked, so i aplogize a head of time. My current situation is very very low milk supply( i am pumping maybe a few drops each session), my son is going to be 5months tomorrow and at 3months i began formula supplementing. As of now he is on nothing but formula but i have been trying to pump while he sleeps to boost my supply (which is not very often). He will not latch and with my husband away at work for more then 24hrs at a time i am finding it hard to boost supply just with pumping because I'm having to also care to my little one. The O.B has prescribed Reglan but i am terrified to take it, i have no history with depression but my aniexty has always ran high. He prescribed it to be taken for four weeks decreasing the dose gradually. are there any similar stories if so please tell me how "you" increased you supply. I need some type of routine to follow i guess. I have heard that its not impossible to get it back but I'm so lost on where to start and so discouraged but i do want more than ever to continue this gift with my son. please help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: Discouraged

    Hi, i'm sure others will have lots of great advice on how to keep your supply up but just wanted to share with you that I have also struggled with low milk supply and started supplementing at 3 weeks. My LO is now 4 months and I am still supplementing as well as BF'ing (although increasingly I am pumping BM as my LO gets too distracted now to stay on the breast the 40-ish minutes it takes to empty them). My milk supply increased dramatically when i started having accupuncture. I had tried domperidone with no success and so I gave this a shot. After the first treatment I woke up the next morning with significantly more milk (in fact my breasts were a little engorged there was so much more than normal). I'm still having to work at keeping the supply up - especially now that my LO doesn't stay on long enough - but i never would have got this far without the accupuncture along with pumping as often as i could. I also drank nursing tea/mothers milk three times a day, although lately I haven't been drinking it and it doesn't seem to have really affected my supply.
    I really hope you have success, whatever you try - good luck
    Last edited by @llli*butterfly111; November 14th, 2011 at 05:16 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Discouraged

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*t.reed View Post
    The O.B has prescribed Reglan but i am terrified to take it, i have no history with depression but my aniexty has always ran high. He prescribed it to be taken for four weeks decreasing the dose gradually.
    I recently did a 2 week course of Reglan and found that it worked well for me (from fighting for 2oz to getting at least 4 every time). I do have a history of depression and was hesitant to try this but after much discussion decided that 2 weeks was unlikely to cause a problem (which turned out to fine). The problem I have is that we didnt "wean" me off slowly as you OB suggested and 2 days after I stopped the Reglan my supply took a nose dive and the last few days have been terrible. Im not sure if it is due to suddenly discontinuing the dose or what but Im stuck between a rock and hard place too. My plans are to call my lactation consultant tomorrow and see what my options are.

    Something else that helped me was watching the video on expression techniques that is linked to this forum. It is geared towards moms EP for babies in the NICU but I found it to be extremely helpful for me. I double pump, then single pump when the sprays stop followed by manual expression to empty each breast. I have one side that just doesnt empty for the pump and I can always get at 0.5 to 1 more oz when I express by hand. Takes some getting used to tho so dont give up right away! It is also time consuming but maybe you can work in some of the techniques (if you cant squeeze in all-forgive the pun ) to fit the schedule that you keep with your LO.

    I can sympathize with your feelings of sadness on this topic. Its hard to keep your chin up when it seems so easy for other women. I keep trying anyway and Im still going even though the other moms that returned to work at the same time as me have ALL stopped pumping. Sometimes I want to give up but then I picture how relaxed and happy my LO is nursing and I just keep pushing. Do what you can and know that there are others out there in the same boat as you! Good luck!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,440

    Default Re: Discouraged

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*t.reed View Post
    I have read a lot of the other threads and i guess this may be some what silly because i feel like I'm just reiterating what others have asked, so i aplogize a head of time. My current situation is very very low milk supply( i am pumping maybe a few drops each session), my son is going to be 5months tomorrow and at 3months i began formula supplementing. As of now he is on nothing but formula but i have been trying to pump while he sleeps to boost my supply (which is not very often). He will not latch and with my husband away at work for more then 24hrs at a time i am finding it hard to boost supply just with pumping because I'm having to also care to my little one. The O.B has prescribed Reglan but i am terrified to take it, i have no history with depression but my aniexty has always ran high. He prescribed it to be taken for four weeks decreasing the dose gradually. are there any similar stories if so please tell me how "you" increased you supply. I need some type of routine to follow i guess. I have heard that its not impossible to get it back but I'm so lost on where to start and so discouraged but i do want more than ever to continue this gift with my son. please help.
    If your baby will latch, nurse. Don't rely on a pump.

    But if your baby won't, you MUST pump. There is no getting around it. An EPing mom needs to pump 120 minutes out of every 24. No medication can replace that.

    I have four kids, the one I'm pumping for is special needs, and you just do it. hands free bra. I used to put baby on a pillow with a kind of built-in seatbelt, and I fed and pumped. It's harder now that he's teething..he's mobile. He gets into everything while I'm trapped pumping. Thus....see if your LO will nurse. Get an SNS to give supplements with while you rebuild your supply.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Discouraged

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    If your baby will latch, nurse. Don't rely on a pump.

    But if your baby won't, you MUST pump. There is no getting around it. An EPing mom needs to pump 120 minutes out of every 24. No medication can replace that.

    I have four kids, the one I'm pumping for is special needs, and you just do it. hands free bra. I used to put baby on a pillow with a kind of built-in seatbelt, and I fed and pumped. It's harder now that he's teething..he's mobile. He gets into everything while I'm trapped pumping. Thus....see if your LO will nurse. Get an SNS to give supplements with while you rebuild your supply.
    What she said

    I took fenegreek, blessed thistle, rasberry leaf, fennel & mmilk tea, LOTS of oatmeal pumped after EVERY BF session 8-12x a day for first 3ish months,I wish I could of got *meds* so I have no advise on those and MOST importain I put DS to breast AOAP & LOTS of skin/skin & bathtub feedings. That and the support from the wise mommas here and DH REALLY helped
    jenn
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting


    We
    NIP BLS

    In need of some

    LACTIVIST

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •