Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 week old very gassy

Default 4 week old very gassy

hi,

My baby is 4 weeks old and she is exclusively breastfed. She is very gassy most of the days and so she is fussy and could not sleep. One other thing is that she does not poop very frequently only once a day. But her weight gain seems to be okay.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Just wanted to let you know that I am taking fenugreek capsules to boost my milk supply. Could fenugreek cause this side effect? I am not sure what is causing this discomfort for her.

I would appreciate your response!

Thanks,
    Sunshine

Default Re: 4 week old very gassy

I am not familiar with fenugreek as I have never used it. How often are you burping her? What is her pee diaper output like? How many wets a day? Disposable or cloth diapers?

I burp her after she is done at each breast. 7 to 8 wet disposable diapers a day.

Thanks..

Can you describe the fussiness? Does it tend to strike at any particular time of day? Maybe intensify in the afternoon or evening? Is it associated with a particular position or activity? The reason I ask is that sometimes what we think is gas is actually something else.

Fenugreek is generally absolutely fine for both mama and baby, but I have heard some moms say that their babies seemed gassier and fussier when they were using it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sangeetha, my little exclusively breastfed grandson seems to have the same problem with gas. He also has 'explosive' bowel movements (you can actually hear him in the next room) and as many as 12-15 poopy diapers a day. His little bum is getting quite sore. I've related this to the pediatrician and she suggested trying a little formula supplementation with probiotics. I asked if the probiotics were available without the formula and she said yes, they were. Biogaia has infant drops with probiotics. It's expensive ~ $30 for a wee little bottle. The dose is 5 drops, which I had trouble measuring/estimating. I took a spoon and carefully droppered out 5, noted how much of a spoonful that was (about 1/4 tsp) and now just give the baby that much. I'm hoping it will help.

It's funny your baby is gassy and doesn't poop much and ours is gassy and poops excessively. His weight gain, like yours, is good.

Thanks for your response. I will try it.