Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Guards Impeding Milk Flow?

Default Nipple Guards Impeding Milk Flow?

My sister-in-law recommended picking up a set of nipple guards after mine became extremely tender. For the past 5 days (for my 11 day old) I've been using the nipple guards but worry that I might not be having enough milk flow. Anyone else have problems with this?

Default Re: Nipple Guards Impeding Milk Flow?

What happens if you ditch the shields? Have you tried nursing without them?

If your nips are sore, are you sure baby is latching properly and you do not have thrush?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I tried without the shields last night and it was back to square one getting a solid latch, etc. But at the 11 o'clock a.m. feeding Little Dude was on tight! He's still acting hungry tho. He loves to fall asleep while feeding so I'm sure that's part of it. Just trying to find the happy medium between his comfort and mine. It's so easy to use the shields for comfort, but since he's fighting jaundice I want to make sure I'm not making him work any harder than he has to to get the extra feedings in the doc requested.

I'm pretty sure it's not thrush. No white residue, etc. Little Dude just has such a strong sucking instinct he tears me up.

Thanks for responding guys! I feel better just having someone to talk with