Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby always restless, should I try this?

Default Baby always restless, should I try this?

Hi girls

Right, I'm expressing my milk to give you my son.
    For the past 2 weeks, (it's probably colic) he's been pushing, stressing and continuously moving and grunting. He seems better when I lay him on his belly or have him over my shoulder as in chest to chest..he seems at peace but other than that if I lay him down in cot/car seat/bed or anywhere else he grunts and moves and goes red all the time and starts crying.
    Iv'e checked my diet (I do however, have a glass or 2 of fizzy drink( pepsi ) a day.

Iv'e given him infacol/colic drops/gripe water and nothing seems to be helping. He doesn't go a whole minute without grunting and moving. Infact, he wakes me up my grunting every night and morning

I took him to my GP and they pretty much said they can't do anything and that it just sounds like colic and babies have it. It's just getting so much he's doing it more and more. I haven't seen him deep sleep for at least a week. It gets upsetting

The thing I'm wondering is, could this be the milk, should I try him on formula? Just my mum was speaking to me not long ao and she said that I useto be the same and that I had some special milk from the hospital and that she couldnt breastfeed me because I had some other problems too. I'm wondering aybe I should consider trying formula or do you think this has nothing to do with the milk?

Which is the lightest milk (formula) they say aptimil and SMA gold is quite heavy.

Thanks

Default Re: Baby always restless, should I try t

I don't think you should try formula, it tends to be harder on their stomachs. Is he screaming or just grunting?
    Eta: formula is lacking in so many things and doesn't compare to breast milk. It needs to be the last resort. If he is better on his stomach or close to you, do that as much as you can. Do you baby wear? It might help him. It's very likely that his problems would be worse on formula.
    Last edited by @llli*juno; November 12th, 2011 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    I don't think you should try formula, it tends to be harder on their stomachs. Is he screaming or just grunting?
    Eta: formula is lacking in so many things and doesn't compare to breast milk. It needs to be the last resort. If he is better on his stomach or close to you, do that as much as you can. Do you baby wear? It might help him. It's very likely that his problems would be worse on formula.
    Thanks for the reply. He isn't screaming just grunting and after a while of it he will start crying.
    Would it be safe to put him on his belly at night though?

He is A month old today

I would not give formula. Much harder on their tummies. Check out the ingredient list the next time you're at the store....

1) I would cut out the pepsi
    2) I would make sure he burped frequently during feedings. Milk from a bottle makes it easier for baby to get air while they drink.
    3) I would invest in a sling or wrap and wear my baby. Wanting to be close to mama is normal and expected.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    I would not give formula. Much harder on their tummies. Check out the ingredient list the next time you're at the store....

1) I would cut out the pepsi
    2) I would make sure he burped frequently during feedings. Milk from a bottle makes it easier for baby to get air while they drink.
    3) I would invest in a sling or wrap and wear my baby. Wanting to be close to mama is normal and expected.
    Thank you for the advice.

Don't they get all uncomfortable in the sling like all tight? Iv'e never tried this but is it comfortable for him?

Most babies love the sling once they get used to it.

Grunting is normal.

Something to think about....babies have to get used to their bodies outside of the womb. It's all a new experience for them. The first 12 weeks are like the fourth trimester

Colic is usually defined as 3 hours of crying starting at around 3pm for at least 3 hours. I had two who easily exceeded that, and really the only cure is time and going back to the fourth trimester idea...baby wearing. Nursing on demand. Ignoring the clock. Sleeping when the baby sleeps. Keeping baby near. Also check with your doc to make sure reflux isn't a problem. Some babies have that and it is blown off by just calling it colic. That happened with my first baby.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Colic is usually defined as 3 hours of crying starting at around 3pm for at least 3 hours. I had two who easily exceeded that, and really the only cure is time and going back to the fourth trimester idea...baby wearing. Nursing on demand. Ignoring the clock. Sleeping when the baby sleeps. Keeping baby near. Also check with your doc to make sure reflux isn't a problem. Some babies have that and it is blown off by just calling it colic.
    Especially to the last sentence. It's extremely easy for a doc to shrug and say "colic" instead of looking for other issues.

Grunting is very normal for a young baby. Remember, until 1 month ago your baby had never pooped or passed gas, and the process of digestion is very new to him! Some babies don't really care much about their digestive system and its processes, but some babies are very troubled by gas and other sensations. It's not a reason to discontinue breastfeeding- remember, formula is generally harder on the tummy than breastmilk, and breastmilk is more than just nutrition! It's also extremely beneficial for the baby's immune system, in both the short and long term. So even if breastmilk were upsetting your baby's tummy more than formula- which I doubt!- it's still healthier for him than formula.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"